What's new
What's new

"Emergency" trailer ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder if anyone, anywhere has ever made a trailer that somehow folds or "knock's down" enough to haul it around in the bed of a standard (fullsize 8 foot bed) pickup truck, that would magically be light enough (aluminum) for two guys to remove it without a forklift, assemble it and yet yet "heavy" enough to haul perhaps 1,500 lbs on it. All this without it taking up the entire space of the pickup bed as well !

Four by eight foot trailer platform would be big enough. And yes, I know about those little fold up for storage in your garage, trailers, but they are still too heavy and big for this I think.

Of course even if it did take up the entire bed, for certain situations it might be useful. If you needed just the pickup bed for hauling, you'd take the trailer out, and tow it (empty) behind.

I suspect the biggest challenge would be the axle/wheel aspects. Just wondering if anyone here has ever seen such a contraption attempted ?

Bottom line is there is no doubt it could be done in a narrow width trailer, but to do so and have a practical trailer is the tricky part. I could even imagine one completely assembled that fit perfectly in the pickup box, that you roll down ramps, adjust axle position, connect tongue and go...but I suspect there is some downfall to the idea...maybe that it would be bouncing all over the place when towing it empty...

I wonder if anyone, anywhere has ever made a trailer that somehow folds or "knock's down" enough to haul it around in the bed of a standard (fullsize 8 foot bed) pickup truck, that would magically be light enough (aluminum) for two guys to remove it without a forklift, assemble it and yet yet "heavy" enough to haul perhaps 1,500 lbs on it. All this without it taking up the entire space of the pickup bed as well !

Four by eight foot trailer platform would be big enough. And yes, I know about those little fold up for storage in your garage, trailers, but they are still too heavy and big for this I think.

Of course even if it did take up the entire bed, for certain situations it might be useful. If you needed just the pickup bed for hauling, you'd take the trailer out, and tow it (empty) behind.

I suspect the biggest challenge would be the axle/wheel aspects. Just wondering if anyone here has ever seen such a contraption attempted ?

Bottom line is there is no doubt it could be done in a narrow width trailer, but to do so and have a practical trailer is the tricky part. I could even imagine one completely assembled that fit perfectly in the pickup box, that you roll down ramps, adjust axle position, connect tongue and go...but I suspect there is some downfall to the idea...maybe that it would be bouncing all over the place when towing it empty...

What about the old trailers that attached at 2 points on the bumper, and had a swivel wheel, like a bushhog?? It could be swung up, & chained in place, until it was needed.. If you shared the load between the hitches and the tire, it would not be much weight on the swiveling tire ...

What about the old trailers that attached at 2 points on the bumper, and had a swivel wheel, like a bushhog?? It could be swung up, & chained in place, until it was needed.. If you shared the load between the hitches and the tire, it would not be much weight on the swiveling tire ...

Never seen one like that...you talking about highway speed use or 'on the farm' use ?

Never seen one like that...you talking about highway speed use or 'on the farm' use ?

D.

They do exist. One here, but only 960 lbs. The view detailed specs, is not opening for me. So now idea how much it folds up.

http://www2.northerntool.com/product/465468_465468.htm

The trailer Davis is taking of. I’ve seen Pics of some thing like that, on the forum. 12 – 24 months ago. Just trying to search that now.

Had a Pic of a Harly, being towed, lazy, caster wheel, one only at the rear.

Regards Phil.

D.

They do exist. One here, but only 960 lbs. The view detailed specs, is not opening for me. So now idea how much it folds up.

The trailer Davis is taking of. I’ve seen Pics of some thing like that, on the forum. 12 – 24 months ago. Just trying to search that now.

Regards Phil.

D.

Regards Phil.

Any reason that you coudn't just tow one that doesn't come apart? Seems that would be easier. ???

Is the extree dollar saved crossing the bridge gunna add up that fast?

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Any reason that you coudn't just tow one that doesn't come apart? Seems that would be easier. ???

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Phil, re that fold up trailer, re-read my post more carefully.

Ox...nothing to do with tolls, everything to do with parking spaces and ride quality on those occasions you might need a trailer 500 miles from home, but you probably won't...but just in case you do...

But mostly just something fun to think about...kinda silly really...you like fun, don't you Ox ? ;)

Ox...nothing to do with tolls, everything to do with parking spaces and ride quality on those occasions you might need a trailer 500 miles from home, but you probably won't...but just in case you do...

But mostly just something fun to think about...kinda silly really...you like fun, don't you Ox ? ;)

Back