What's new
What's new

Emerson Band Saw Auto-Shutoff Does Not Work

FTF Engineering

Hot Rolled
So I've been working on an Emerson 7" band saw. I'm now at the point where the saw cuts great, but the auto-shutoff at the end of the cut is does not work. I have been manually shutting off the power to the motor which works fine, but it would be more convenient if I did not have to do that.

There's a piece of linkage that snapped off sometime in the past that I would like to recreate, but I don't know what it originally looked like. Even without ever seeing an original, I could probably fashion something that "works", but it would sure be a lot easier if I knew what the original looked like.

So here's the linkage I've got... This is the pivoting linkage that rotates when you lift the saw arm up and is pushed down again when the saw arm returns to the bottom at the end of a cut:
P1170945.jpg

Another angle:
P1170946.jpg

And here's the arm removed from the saw. Clearly that spring steel piece has snapped off and does not contact the arm on the electrical switch like it's supposed to:
P1170950.jpg

Anyone got a couple minutes to stick a camera up their Emerson and snap a couple pics so I know what I'm dealing with? I'm assuming they used the same or similar piece on all of them. Hopefully?

Thanks guys. No, they aren't really rare, but I do gather from previous discussions about them that they are not highly respected. Clearly at the lower end of the industrial offerings.

I do know there are (were?) a couple other members here that have these saws, but in any event, I'm guessing nobody has any pics handy or the opportunity to stuff a camera up under there.

While digging around looking for pics, I did find some at the home shop site, but they were always people who were members here too. I didn't find any original info there. I guess I could join that forum and ask, but it's the same people talking about these saws there are the people here.

Back