UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GregSY View Post
    "I don't really care what the guys in my shop do on their own time"

This is exactly the take on things that I endorse, and I know it is the one that will lead us into the future in good stead.

My brother, I have some excellent news for you. I have a number of people who will be joining your company this week, and the good news is all of them are punctual and have good skills and will help you run your business profitably.

It is your laid back attitude toward employees that makes you an attractive employer. For these employees - all on their own time -have a few issues. All have been in federal prison in the recent past. One is an avowed child molester but rest assured he only diddles on the weekends in his own cellar. One is a wife beater of the highest order. The good news is he never once has punched out his wife's teeth while on the clock. A couple more are high ranking members of a black supremacist group - but only lynch whitey on Friday evenings after hours. Then, one happens to be a serial killer who, I can promise, will take his 32nd victim when he is NOT at work.

Sticking one's head in the sand and looking the other way is an awesome way to run a business!
    I differ with you that someone who smokes a little weed is the same as a child moleter etc. IMO they are a notch or two below the tobacco addict. But then I live in a different state now, used to live in Austin. I can tell you plenty of people smoked weed there!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I probably have THC "in my system" from college 30 years ago.

I wish more of my employees were potheads. Potheads are relaxed. In my experience it is the souped up job hoppers that rush things and do stupid stuff... then quit for a bigger company.

3. Likes Bobw, 72bwhite, cranium, tdmidget liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only person I know that SAID THEY WERE NEVER WRONG, stole almost a half million dollars from me.

5. Likes DavidScott, litlerob1, 72bwhite, Cobranut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobw View Post
    The only person I know that SAID THEY WERE NEVER WRONG, stole almost a half million dollars from me.
    never knew you knew Trump that well

The more closed the mind the louder the opinions

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With pot coming legal here in a week the Toronto Police Dept. has told their officers they need 28 days between any exposure and coming to work.

They must think anything left in the system is an impairment.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobw View Post
    Familiar number. Almost as if off a rate-card.

Sorta confirms ex-wives have some sort of Union-membership-in-advance.

But y'know? It has ended up a cheap price to pay after all..

9. Likes strokersix liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Keeley View Post
    With pot coming legal here in a week the Toronto Police Dept. has told their officers they need 28 days between any exposure and coming to work.

"Poor Judgement" might need a Helluva lot longer than just 28 DAYS to get out of a person's system, yah?

11. Likes Cobranut liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I get that, it's just the PD covering their asses. No room for mis-interpretation sorta thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by adh2000 View Post
    The guy showed up for work this morning. Test results should be back tomorrow. He told me he's going to fail for THC. I sort of appreciate the honesty. I told him you like to skate on thin ice don't you, thinner the better. He said yeah that's me.

Some of you are way unrealistic. This guy isn't an airline pilot. He spends all day swinging a crow bar or running a chip hammer.

Easy to see who the shop owners are here.

For whatever reason I out grew it. I don't miss it all that much either. And damn sure don't miss the feeling of always standing on thin ice. I don't want to work next to someone plastered. Period!

Although I'd agree it easy to see who the shop owners are in this conversation it is not necessarily the best indication of their personal position on this subject.

It's more apparent to me the guys that feel that it's important to protect against somebody's wife from owning the business if someone is killed in their shop. That is my observation anyway. Its surprising what folks will do when they think nobody is looking.

If owners want to keep a drug free environment then fire folks for testing positive but don't wait until they get hurt and the insurance company has them by the short hairs. Do surprise random testing excluding nobody and be prepared to learn things about people close to you that you didn't know.

I have had friends in low places. It's amazed me who showed up in these places that I in a million years never dreamed I'd see. Owners, bosses, engineers, office workers all the way down to crow bar guy.

So did you fire him? If so is he stuck paying for his ER visit?

Brent
    Last edited by yardbird; 10-14-2018 at 04:56 PM. Reason: edited post..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

this doesn't change my opinions on my right to do what I want and show up to work sober Monday morning, but if you have a sense of humor (id guess about 45% of ya) watch this:

This is how Canadian police will conduct... - Erich Schiketantz

15. Likes Terry Keeley liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by metlcutr55 View Post
    this doesn't change my opinions on my right to do what I want and show up to work sober Monday morning, but if you have a sense of humor (id guess about 45% of ya) watch this:

This is how Canadian police will conduct... - Erich Schiketantz

The lawyers are gonna be busy challenging the "real" test in the months to come:

Will Canada’s first approved roadside pot test actually work? - CityNews Toronto

What do they use in the legal pot states?

ps: sorry for the hihack.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

What do they use in the legal pot states?

ps: sorry for the hihack.
    You have to sing this song:
    Tracey Ullman LIFE IS A ROCK BUT THE RADIO ROLLED ME - YouTube

Helium not included.....

18. Likes Terry Keeley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Having had a chat with a biochemist recently, I learned somthing interesting, it seems we have “receptors” for THC, morphine and bucket loads of others,turns out we manufacture them ourselves, you can find them in tiny concentrations in folk who never indulge (parts per billion and less!) but we do make the stuff internally, who’d have guessed, complex things humans.
    Then seratonin (the happy stuff) came up, it doesn’t come from the brain, it’s from the gut, where most of the other neurotransmitters get made, amazing
    Mark

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boslab View Post
    Having had a chat with a biochemist recently, I learned somthing interesting, it seems we have “receptors” for THC, morphine and bucket loads of others,turns out we manufacture them ourselves, you can find them in tiny concentrations in folk who never indulge (parts per billion and less!) but we do make the stuff internally, who’d have guessed, complex things humans.
    Then seratonin (the happy stuff) came up, it doesn’t come from the brain, it’s from the gut, where most of the other neurotransmitters get made, amazing
    Mark
    ....and every dope head will use it as an excuse to get out of jail.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Receptors" aren't the same thing as Poppy.

Experiments on mice;
    Human brain cells have this chemical (tetrahydropapaveroline)or THP, and plants use it to make morphine. After the injection, mice started to turn the THP into salutaridine. In morphine-producing poppy plants salutaridine is then converted to thebaine, which undergoes further reactions to become morphine. The researchers show that mice can also do that chemical conversion, as well as others needed to generate morphine. So not exactly. Otherwise we'd have Hippies running around doing all kinds of crazy stuff (shitting in a bag, eating rats, getting jobs, working out) to generate their own.

R

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GregSY View Post
    One is an avowed child molester but rest assured he only diddles on the weekends in his own cellar. One is a wife beater of the highest order. The good news is he never once has punched out his wife's teeth while on the clock. A couple more are high ranking members of a black supremacist group - but only lynch whitey on Friday evenings after hours. Then, one happens to be a serial killer who, I can promise, will take his 32nd victim when he is NOT at work.
    OOoooh. Scary black people. Good idea to make people afraid of black people. They smoke weed.

As for the wife beater and the child molester, probably they're meth addicts.

23. Likes anchorman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Heck, the entire INDUSTRY I work in has an ABSOLUTE prohibition on drug use.
    Even some LEGAL medications are banned, and will at minimum get your access pulled and you sent for "treatment" before being allowed to return to work.

Illegal or not has little to do with it.

25. Likes Terry Keeley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Life just isn't as simple as it used to be.
    the reality is you have a bunch of stoner in the lower paid work force.
    social norms have changed.

the guys doing stuff that go home hurting a little at the end of the day
    now some smoke instead of drinking to self medicate.

In some jobs zero tolerance is the only choice,
    and in other cases as long as they aren't loaded on the job eh who cares.
    with the legalization movement it's not going to be as simple

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by boslab View Post
    Mark
    That why opiates work they use the endofins receptors, as opposed to alcohol that
    just screws with the cell membrane

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post

I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I had a group of machinists and didn't know which of them was on drugs.
    One of the best machinists I ever knew was almost always on drugs. He was pretty great at work when he was occupied with a useful task. Left alone on his own time, the demons in his head got the best of him, so he would do opioids of any sort he could get, and smoke all the weed he could afford. I was rarely worried about his drug use as much as I was worried about his depression, except that in the long run the drugs didn't help the depression as much as he was hoping they would. He was the only guy in the whole place where I work who nobody ever questioned if he wanted to use tools or machines in their shop, because he was better than anyone else in any of the shops and made good parts. I've got 1000 other things that cause me to lose sleep, but people who can function at that level while being heavy drug users is not one of them. I've known plenty of alcoholics, who were similar - you'd rather they had a drink so they wouldn't shake... I've known more than my fair share of stone cold sober people who were idiots and blowhards who would get hurt because they knew better than everyone else who things are supposed to be done.

Lots of things to lose sleep over, but as long as a guy shows up to work and gets his work done, drugs isn't one of them.

29. Likes Bobw, yardbird, charlie gary, gusmadison liked this post