What's new
What's new

Encapsulated abrasive wire wheel?

JoeE.

Titanium
I got these two wheels at an auction the other day... 10 inch diameter, inch and a half wide.

I made some adapter bushings to get them on the shaft of my big buffer to see what they do.

They're old and have not been stored properly... They seem to be encapsulated in a rubbery abrasive tar looking stuff. I've never seen anything like it. I was hoping they were a cratex, rubbery type of material, but with that wire embedded in there it's not... They're not very handy and I'll probably just throw them in the trash but I was wondering what they would have been for in the first place?

I've edited this post to show the wheels. I used them... they were the shits... pushing hard against them, there was bits of that encapsulation material balling up and flying off and sticking to the floor, to my nice shirt... to the material being buffed. It left a rubbery, stick feeling to otherwise shiney steel. You could feel it acting like an adhesive bond between the sole of my shoes and the concrete floor. Tried to pick the little dingleberries off my clothes.. it just smeared!!!

3.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:
I have some smaller ones 2" and 3" dia for die grinders, they are handy to keep the wires from flying as just mentioned.They are a little more aggresive and last longer due to the rubber making the wires act more stiff.
weiler has a bit more info here:
Encapsulated Wheel Brushes | Weiler
I have not used any that big on a bench machine but I would think they would be less eager to grab and throw your part across the room. Less exposed wires to wrap around edges with the rubber.

Back in the day they used to be hideously expensive - especially the large ones, …..so maybe re ebaying (or whatever) them would pay.

I've used them when I wanted action that was at least as stiff as a coarse gage twisted wire wheel, but with less spread and more control. Sometimes when I wanted action that was even stiffer, without getting an actual abrasive wheel in play.

[Added in edit] Obviously the encapsulation on those wheels in the OP is breaking down. Those wheels are useless.

Last edited:

Back