What's new
What's new

Tree 2UVR knee clamp not holding

allsupj

Plastic
My Tree 2UVR mill the knee clamp will not hold. It provides little more resistance to crank than with it totally loose. The lever tightens up at about a 90 degree rotation but it just does not hold. Any ideas ?

Mine is the same way. I think it is just a wear/clearance issue on the dovetail pieces that ride on the vertical ways. Probably worked great when new and clearance was tight, now the parts have to move too far. Unfortunately to fix it correctly would be a full tear down and rescrape, and I just don't use that lock enough to care. Update: I got home and looked at mine and see that the way gibs are bolted to the knee and there are setscrews that can adjust the clearances of the vertical ways. I think you might could loosen this main gib by loosening the bolts and play with the setscrews to get a better fit. Looks like an hour or hours worth of fiddle time.

Last edited:
I have the same issue.
Not so concerned about the knee lock, but the saddle and cross-slide locks don't work either, and I would like to remedy that.
Thought I would give a holler prior to tearing into it.

The saddle is similar to the knee setup. It is a removable piece that you unbolt , and scrape the angle flat and reinstall it, and fiddle with the adjustment setscrews. Thats what I did and it made it little better, but really you need to grind, scrape the big dovetail and match it to the saddle gib.....big job. The cross-slide is just a dumbbell bolt that bears on the tapered way gib to lock. You could probably slide it out and do the same thing. I haven't done this. I found that the saddle gib was certainly bowed(worn) in the middle and not touching and scraping it flat again did improve things.

Back