What's new
What's new

Enco gone? Best sources for cheap machine shop gear?

MonCeret Gunsmit

Aluminum
So for decades I have bought economical machinist paraphernalia from kittstools.com. About the best deal I had found. But their precision metal working lines have continuously shrunk.

I got to looking for Enco...and it appears to be defunct.

Any body got leads on cheap economy gear & equipment for the shop? Specifically right now I need to pick up a tool post & tool holders for my 14" lathe I just put in my home garage... as well as a few other non-critical items.

Any leads or link appreciated.

Thanks.

You would be better off looking for a good used toolpost & holders on ebay- DTM, Aloris, or Dorian. While a lot are priced rather high, if you keep checking you will find one for a reasonable price. Remember what Benjamin Franklin said: The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

You would be better off looking for a good used toolpost & holders on ebay- DTM, Aloris, or Dorian. While a lot are priced rather high, if you keep checking you will find one for a reasonable price. Remember what Benjamin Franklin said: The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Thanks....I'll start watching!

CDCO
Shars

Both sell imported cheap & crappy chinese tooling.

Neither of those suppliers are a credible replacement for ENCO, that DID sell a significant amount of quality tooling that was NOT chinese in origin, and had great sales and pricing - that is, until MSC shut them down (fully absorbed them, whatever). But if that's what you want cheap imported crap - CDCO and Shars are the places to go. I've heard that some of what they sell is useful, or can be made so with some effort.

Travers is still out there, they are kind of like Enco. Some good stuff, some crap and usually okay pricing.

Neither of those suppliers are a credible replacement for ENCO, that DID sell a significant amount of quality tooling that was NOT chinese in origin, and had great sales and pricing - that is, until MSC shut them down (fully absorbed them, whatever). But if that's what you want cheap imported crap - CDCO and Shars are the places to go. I've heard that some of what they sell is useful, or can be made so with some effort.

Please refer to the OP's title.
"...Cheap..."

I live in Chicago and have been to the original Enco factory on the westside of Chicago. My Dad always wanted a shop and raising 7 kids it wasn't in the picture. Shortly after he retired as a machinist a deal came up on a brand new 9" x 36" Enco (may I not be struck by lightening) lathe. Gap bed cut metric and American threads. A friend of a friend had it who happened to know Charlie Ususkin (probably killed his name) the owner and maybe founder of Enco. Not a piece of American iron but it was better than the Logan step pulley machine he had and $1800.00 for a brand new lathe why not. Even before he bought that lathe we would do breakfast on a Saturday and go to the Enco store. I was starting out and would get what I could afford, you know the 1" dial indicator with a mag base for a whopping $24.99! They used to manufacture a lot here in Chicago, mag bases, lathe tool posts, even turret attachments for lathes. He got the lathe and he was talking to my Mom saying how a pipe dream of his was to have a mill. She told him "Get it." She knew how hard he worked his whole life and he deserved it. So back to Enco. Next purchase a variable speed 9" x 42" mill. Box ways DRO vise clamp kit. Some where there is a picture of the day we put it in the garage. Me and my Dad standing in front of his new mill you couldn't have gotten the smile off his face with a chainsaw. I miss the hell out of that man.

Allindustrialtoolsupply(they have an online catalog and also sell on E-Bay) has the cheapest qc tool blocks and they are pretty well made.Penn Tool and Kitts are kinda like Enco.

The old competitors to Enco still are alive and well.
PTS Tool, Penn Tool, Travers Tool, KBC, Wholesale Tool.
All on my vendor list for over 30 years.
PTS may be carried under your local tool distributor also with a different name on the catalog binder.
Bob

CDCO
Shars

Both sell imported cheap & crappy chinese tooling.

CDCO has toolholders for the Aloris-style toolposts for less than anyone else.

Now, I have Aloris, Phase II and CDCO toolholders and the CDCO's would NEVER be confused with a Phase II, much less an Aloris, but..

if you can't afford enough toolholders, and you keep swapping tool bits in the five toolholders that came with your set, then it ain't quick change.

The fact that I was able to buy a pile of CDCO toolholders for what one Aloris cost made a huge difference in my workshop.

Now, if I really needed my toolholders to repeat to tenths, damn right I would be buying Aloris.

Oh, and I bought a bunch of soft jaws from Wholesale tool. Great selection and great prices.

Steve

Back