With Enco gone - who do you buy 'shop junk' from? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

+1 for Zoro. I wrote them off for a long time, but a 25% off a $3,000 cabinet brought me back. Bought my $15K compressor and got quotes from everywhere on 250ish gallon tanks (needed 2 of them) up to $3,000 each... Zoro has the same tanks from the same brand for $1,200ish. They have decent pricing, but the coupons bring certain categories to the old Enco pricing. Seriously miss Enco. Bought a rotary with a 25% coupon for one job before I had CNC then sold it for $300 more than I bought it for on Craigslist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

PITA website but JTSMachinery is good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rklopp View Post
    Grand Tool was always "grand" for oddball stuff like #7 B&S taper collets. Victor in Brooklyn NY is kind of like them.
    I buy from Victor once in a while and have always been satisfied. Last time they sent me the wrong cutter. I emailed them and another one was on the way befor the sales guy replied. He asked (and trusted me)to send the other back and I did. I like their honesty and the fact they trusted me to be honest too.

4. Likes digger doug, crossthread liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post

funny,,guess your right,,,only since 1997

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I bought a lot years ago from Enco and J&L, but nothing since MSC picked them up. In the 90's most of the low priced tooling came from Spain and Eastern Europe. About the same time the good deals dried up from those places, MSC picked up their competition. Today almost all the low cost tooling is made in China and India, no matter who sells it. It is now possible to buy directly from China and elsewhere in Asia through eBay and Alibaba. For larger items, I have a friend that imports from China about 100 containers a year. I often order the large heavy items through him and just had them included in his containers. The trade is that this friend is not a machine guy, so I do the research and sourcing for him. I understand a source like that is not available to everyone, but it works for me. Another very valuable source of tooling is auctions of bankruptcies and DRMO. This methodology works well only if you can anticipate a requirement, because the time from purchase to delivery can be up to 9 weeks for large items and 4 to 6 weeks for small items. In recent times, finding industrial supply stores that actually stock stuff and can deliver immediately is becoming very difficult everywhere, especially in Europe. When you find these places, the prices are very high. So it pays a premium to pay attention and not be caught short.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Production Tool Supply is another option
    http://www.pts-tools.com

I purchased quite a bit from Enco before MSC closed them down. After that I started ordering from Production Tool and I was happy with them. MSC called me a few times asking me why I wasn't ordering from them, they were offering the same prices as Enco. (But only for 1 year) I explained to them how much I disliked MSC for closing Enco and J&L (which was my main source before MSC closed them), and how much I disliked their ridiculously high list prices. I told them the only way to win my business back was to give me a permanent discount and I didn't want to have to send and RFQ every time I wanted to place an order to get the lower prices. Much to my surprise they did give me the discount which shows up when I log into the website. My regular pricing is typically as low or lower than their sale prices. Except for cutting tools, MSC is now usually the cheapest source for most of my shop supplies.

As much as I wanted to "stick it to them" for shutting down J&L and Enco and take my business elsewhere, I decided to to keep buying from MSC because it was what was best for my business. YMMV but that is what worked for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Production Tool Supply doesn't sell in some states, but use local distributors. I can't buy from them here in Kansas.

If you are going to pine about the "good old days", J & L was an independent seller operating out of a s***hole store off Grand River in Livonia (Detroit) when they sold out to Kennametal (circa 1992?). J & L was something like John & Larry, and they got their start selling surplus tools and tooling from WW2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

there's also H&H in Chino, Ca. They sell a lot of the same garbage as Enco did.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

PTS is great. if i have to pay retail for non-chinese swill... i will buy from them . they have always been fair
    and i have always been pleased with them. they have always had a great stock of oddball and "special" taps and dies,
    usually from japan or poland.

i never thought i'd say this , but i do miss ENCO. they weren't always completely miserable. 1990's, enco had a "showroom"
    store in Atlanta , where i could pick and choose from the dreck... also the only time i ever had the displeasure
    of fondling one of the "original" chinese milling machines..... it was hilarious!!! kinda like an anti-abortion
    poster that makes you want to get one just in case....

was Grand Tool the guy who sold "FEIT" brand endmills, weird Jarno taper horizontal arbors, brazed carbide shell
    mills and taper shank core drills ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

EBay. Search specifically for what you want, find it (it will be on there), couple of clicks to pay, DONE.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tnmgcarbide View Post
    now you can buy that same shit for much cheaper... STRAIGHT FROM CHINA . shipping will be subsidised by the PRC,
    so figure $2-$5 on anything under 10# . the same SHARS or PHase2 hjunk can be had if you look for it.
    Sadly you are mistaken about the PRC subsidizing the freight. It’s my understanding that the post office is unwillingly subsidizing foreign mailers due to mandates implemented a long time ago. Another of the PRC’s using our own laws for an unfair advantage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Reg Smeeton View Post
    Sadly you are mistaken about the PRC subsidizing the freight. It’s my understanding that the post office is unwillingly subsidizing foreign mailers due to mandates implemented a long time ago. Another of the PRC’s using our own laws for an unfair advantage.
    Holy pucknuts, this is true: Does U.S. Postal Service Subsidize China-based Merchants? | Practical Ecommerce

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ractical Ecommerce: It’s sometimes cheaper for an international seller to ship into the U.S. than it is for a domestic U.S. merchant to ship across the country. Why?"

please... it would cost me more to send a bottlecap to china than for them to ship me a crate of suspicious
    toothpaste . that's ok .
    i will continue to buy walmart garbage w/ $1.25 shipping and wait 3 weeks to get it , until the whole thing
    falls apart (the shipping, not the light bulbs/toaster/pliers/whatever...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    You can call this what you want. Certainly the taxpayer in all the first world countries is suffering as well as all the first world manufacturers from this very unfair situation. The issue also exists in Europe and China is specifically and unfairly benefiting from our stupidity.

16. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was just looking for some cheap 246 blocks and found this site on e bay.

allindustrialtoolsupply | eBay

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gbent View Post
    J & L was an independent seller operating out of a s***hole store off Grand River in Livonia (Detroit) when they sold out to Kennametal (circa 1992?).
    I bought from them in Livonia in the mid and late 90's countless times. It was a nice place. I could walk in and order almost anything from the catalog, even on a saturday before noon, and they'd pull the items quickly. They had a warehouse nearby for larger items. Advice on purchases was decent and friendly. Nice catalog, large selection.

It was a small showroom, that didn't have much in it. But with the availability at will call, who cares?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I forgot about these guys, I used to order a lot more form them..
    Wholesale Tool | Industrial Machinery + Tool Supply

20. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Grainger survives

Quote Originally Posted by Guest View Post
    I never understood how Grainger survives. They do bombard the radio waves in my area with ads during sports broadcasts. Maybe there is a subliminal message in them, I buy from them as a last resort. I think I have bought from Grainger's something like 3 times in over 20 years of being in business.
    Grainger survives because they are a military industrial company. The military-industrial complex is horrifying if you know how it works. This is how it works: A company gets a contract to make something. They are guaranteed 15% above cost. Therefore they drive the cost up as much as they can. THey pay better wages, hire more people that they don't really need, and buy their consumables and tools at the highest price they can get. There are lots of companies out there that do this. They eat steak and caviar too.

22. Likes cyanidekid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dgjohnsonstein View Post
    They eat steak and caviar too.
    I just checked, Grainger carries neither

24. Likes Yan Wo, cyanidekid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The old 'military-industrial complex' bit sure sounds appealing...it practically is the stuff TV shows, books, and other liberal fodder are made of. It's blaming big corporations and the military in one fell swoop. It's like bedding your girlfriend and her sister at the same time. A true wet dream.

The problem is....the excesses of the military are also a breeding ground for government-paid lackeys, aka liberals. So it's a thin line one walks.

But most of all, there is no particular evidence (remember facts and evidence?) that Grainger supports itself from military contracts. After all, if that were the case, why would they bother operating hundreds of retail stores around the country? Why would they bother with a large advertising campaign? There might well be companies that survive by supplying the government, but Grainger ain't one of em.