What's new
What's new

End mill cutting handgun barrel without angle capabilities

Zip

Aluminum
I have a benchtop mill with fixed neck and head and fixed vise. Was thinking about fluting the barrel for aesthetics and some weight reduction.

This barrel is a "slab side" so I can't go straight in...what options can you suggest, could I mill offset?

Have had great results on round barrels (using 7/32 2Flute end mills).

I do have a 3" angle vise I could mount up if that's a better option.

Thanks

Attachments

• mill2.jpg
    mill2.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 209
  • mill1.jpg
    mill1.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 147
Put it in a dividing head or rotary table with a tailstock. Or make a fixture to hold it. Or make taller jaws and mount them on the outside of the vise and grab it by the ends. Or grab it in a grinding vise and grab that in the mill vise at the appropriate angle.

unless you have a indexing head you can mount. I would go with the sine angle vise you have ,and kick it to the desired angle.

as stated above make a test piece and tweak the set up til you get the desired results.

also maybe pop this into the gunsmiths forum. some of those guys get creative in how they do things due to necessity !

unless you have a indexing head you can mount. I would go with the sine angle vise you have ,and kick it to the desired angle.

as stated above make a test piece and tweak the set up til you get the desired results.

also maybe pop this into the gunsmiths forum. some of those guys get creative in how they do things due to necessity !

As suggested I used the small angle vise...worked great. Once the angle was set it was "dead fricken easy".

Thanks all!

Back