Endmill set screw specs?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Endmill set screw specs?

ISTR this posted here long ago, but can't find anything about it. Are there industry standard specs for the chamfer dimensions on the bottom of the set screws that retain endmills in side lock holders? I know they touch the sides of the notch before they contact the bottom, but by how much?
    Many holder manufacturers offer replacement screws, but at an exorbitant price and special order from the factory only which is a PITA.
    Used holders even in good condition often have oddball or hand shortened setscrews in them, and it's such an easy thing to fix if you know what to do.
    Alternatively, does anyone have the notch specs?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Weldon flat is much wider than the set screw so it contacts the flat and not the sides. Nothing special other than the exact size for balance reasons. They are just standard set screws as far as I know, based on the screws in my Maritool holders.

3. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is some sort of spec for the flat on the tool. I don't know that it's authoritative but here some:

https://abtoolsinc.com/resources/201...tl-Removal.PDF

So far as I know the set screw is normal spec cup point. Just remember to tighten it up, loosen 1/16 or so, pull the tool so that the angle is against the set screw Upush for reverse helix) and tighten it back up. That way things won't move when engaged in the work.

5. Likes michiganbuck, Laurentian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidScott View Post
    The Weldon flat is much wider than the set screw so it contacts the flat and not the sides. Nothing special other than the exact size for balance reasons. They are just standard set screws as far as I know, based on the screws in my Maritool holders.
    The proper screws are not standard set screw, they have a larger chamfer which does fit neatly into the slot.I will post a page from the Weldon catalogue that gives the details later.

7. Likes Mud, Laurentian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The time or two I've needed flat point set screws, I've taken regular cup point ones and chucked up in the lathe gently and flatten the cup point. Yeah, I realized they are not fully hard, but it worked.

9. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LexD View Post
    The proper screws are not standard set screw, they have a larger chamfer which does fit neatly into the slot.I will post a page from the Weldon catalogue that gives the details later.
    Just pulled a screw out of my Maritool holder and checked it against a 3/8" mill with a Weldon flat. There is about .05" of extra width to the flat and the chamfer angle on the screw does not match that of the Weldon flat. It has been a few years but when I looked up Weldon flats, perhaps in my Machinerys Handbook, I was amazed at how loose the tolerances were.

11. Likes sfriedberg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wouldn't call + or - .004" a "Loose Tolerance" really.

ANSI_Weldon_Flat_Standards__.pdf

13. Likes Mud liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

An extract from the Weldon catalogue:

weldon.jpg

The idea of a neat fitting set screw is to locate the cutter and prevent up or down movement during use.

15. Likes Mud liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Lex. Looks like I'll continue to make them to suit each tool, I've seen too much variation from tool to tool recently. Once upon a time I could depend on the set screw to just touch the chamfers before bottoming in the notch, at least on larger tools, lately I've seen all sorts of fits. I even have one 1.25" endmill holder that has the threaded holes too close together to use both screws without takeing away the wall between the notches.