What's new
What's new

enerpac electric high pressure pump noisy & poor pressure

tomjelly

Stainless
I've got an Enerpac IPE5060 H frame press with a single phase PER-3042A 1.5hp electric 10,000psi pump and a 4 way 3 position tandem center solenoid valve. Very cheap auction buy with unknown history other than me having to replace the cylinder seals even before I ever had a chance to operate it under any real pressure- initially running it I could tell the seals were shot. Replaced the seals (enerpac cylinder seals seem to completely fall apart after a certain amount of time), flushed, and replaced fluid and it works, but the pump is loud when the cylinder is stationary and quiets down only a little when moving, also does not develop more than a few hundred psi. This style pump runs CONTINUOUSLY and just moves the cylinder when the up or down button is pressed, it does not run ONLY when you push the up or down button. I think someone was fooling with the valve at some point as the chrome locking nut on the valve block was loose (see photo). I believe the pump is two stage and only is generating 1st stage pressure- pump drawing: http://literature.enerpac.com/pdf/L1292_o.pdf and more at http://literature.enerpac.com/pdf/L2075_c.PDF with valve diagrams at http://literature.enerpac.com/pdf/L2079_f.PDF

I'm not sure if what I was able to find above is the exact manual. I'm making the assumption that the pump is turning the correct direction (and not sure that that matters- and the manual says check for correct rotation then doesn't even say which direction it should turn, and it should probably generate the same pressure in both directions as this pump is used for other double action applications besides presses) because a. its single phase and B. the cylinder goes down when I press the down button, and c. I didn't change any wiring- although I suppose its possible the hoses may have been switched at some point.

Before I take this pump apart are there any hydraulic experts who can suggest any adjustment that some boob might have made to screw things up trying to "fix" the pump/valve side when the real problem was the cylinder seals or if there is a common failure point on these pumps or valves? Is there a adjustment or failure mode that might result in the pump motor running against some pressure (without the pressure showing on the gauge) if for instance the valve was somehow partially actuated or something?

Attachments

• 20170509_145640.jpg
    20170509_145640.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 272
  • 20170509_145646.jpg
    20170509_145646.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 262
That bit is a pressure relief, good chance some one wound it out to lower the working pressure - tonnage, wind it in and things should increase. If they don't you have a pump problem, if it does increase your back in business. Normally first stage is well under 30 bar only, after that your onto the secound stage, hence if your getting more than a few hundred PSi your pump may well be fine - just need to adjust that.

Normally things should sound like its just running till the pressure relief starts to vent, then you commonly get a sequeling type of noise as the pressure is vented back to tank.

Hydrulics are lethal though, especially the high pressure enpac type so get some pro advice - some one that knows what there doing, a small leak and the fluid will kill you - cause limb amputation, its really really nasty, not like a quick crush in something mechanical.

This video at 1:26 shows a guy demoing what may be the same setup and he has the same issue. My pump is no louder than his, so maybe mine is not louder than it should be normally. Other enerpac pumps I've had were smaller and quieter, and mostly only turned on when moving a cylinder. Thanks, I'm well aware of the danger of these systems. In the drawing in the document 2079 pg 11 screw 27 pilot pressure adjustment is what I think the previous owner messed with; after I make sure the pressure gauge is correct I would imagine I would need to adjust that to get the correct pilot pressure to operate the valve, would it make sense that insufficient pressure there would not enable the valve to route high pressure to the output?

Fit the press with a hand pump while you ship the pump off to an Enerpac repair center. In Seattle you should use Universal Repair on Boylston Street. You may find you like your press with the tactile feedback from a hand pump.

metalmagpie

I've rebuilt 3 dake 50h hand pump presses and a dake elecdaulic. I could also buy a new press or farm out press work. The point of this is to learn and fix what I have not have someone else do it.

Back