What's new
What's new

English projection?

Cyborg

Aluminum
I’m working with a machine drawing from the UK dated 1957.
At the top of the drawing it says “ENGLISH PROJECTION“. Can anyone out there explain what that term means exactly? I tried a search, but haven’t found anything yet.
Thanks in advance.

Thank you for the replies. Given the fact that the term didn’t come up in any searches, I assume it is a little obscure and outdated?
Along with ENGLISH PROJECTION, it also says (not true angle). I looked at the 3rd vs 1st angle info as suggested, so I think I’m closer to understanding it, but then again....this is only the second machine drawing that I’ve tried to digest, so a little slow on the uptake.

Some info for you: U.S. vs. European Manufacturing Drawings | Vista Industrial Products, Inc.
In today's world most drawings will have the small cone showing what projection you have. In Europe 1st angle (ISO) is used most of the time while in the US third angle projection is in the majority.
Since you have a drawing from the time when the UK was not metric - most likely third angle.
You should be able to confirm the projection by just looking at the drawing.

Try looking up "1st angle" and "3rd angle" projection. pretty sure its referring to the way a part is rotated in the different views of the drawing.

Yup..."2nd angle projection"
and in ozzy land "-2nd angle projection" … it's upside down bass ackward English projection.

Could you guys PLEASE quit fooling around, dithering over first vs. third angle projection.

And get right to the HEART of the matter, should the drawings have inch, or metric dimensions??

Hey, different people choose to do things different ways. Drawing, driving, whatever. Get over it.

Sounds good as long as everyone does not try doing it all different ways, at the same time.

"Watch out, radio says some idiot is driving the wrong way on the expressway."

"It's not just one idiot, it's ALL of them!"

The individual views are always correct. Its how you project from one view to another that ISO has bass ackwards.

I have yet to find anyone who can tell me how to do old school paper and pencil projections in 1st angle.

Back