What's new
What's new

Engraving on Chrome Plate

Dupa3872

Stainless
Guys,

I good friend of mine bought his son a beautiful set of wrenches and asked me to machine his Initials into the body. They are the highest quality tools from a top brand.
I am hesitant to do it because of the Chrome plate. Tools will chip and the plate may chip, I'll make a mess of it and look like an ass :). He was told they could not be laser engraved to to reflection, I'm not familiar with laser engraving and can't say.

These tools have the manufactures name etched or laser engraved.

What can he have done ? Any idea's ?

Make Chips Boys !

Ron

I have had a lot of high-end wrenches and sockets have the chrome plate peel off in places. It was usually started by a ding, but some examples just look like bad plating that did not bond to the steel. Some were visible as a blister in the plating on brand new tools that could be depressed with a fingernail. I was never shy about trading that stuff back to the Mac, S-K and Snap-On dealers, but I never marked my name on my tools and caused the peeling that way.

So, I would not do any sort of marking that penetrates the plating or mechanically disturbs the plating or substrate (stamping or punching or notching). I guess that leaves chemical etching or selective plating a mark over the chrome. I would worry about local heating from superficial laser marking.

I have had a few tools that previous owners painted in one way or another.

Larry

I have had a lot of high-end wrenches and sockets have the chrome plate peel off in places. It was usually started by a ding, but some examples just look like bad plating that did not bond to the steel. Some were visible as a blister in the plating on brand new tools that could be depressed with a fingernail. I was never shy about trading that stuff back to the Mac, S-K and Snap-On dealers, but I never marked my name on my tools and caused the peeling that way.

So, I would not do any sort of marking that penetrates the plating or mechanically disturbs the plating or substrate (stamping or punching or notching). I guess that leaves chemical etching or selective plating a mark over the chrome. I would worry about local heating from superficial laser marking.

I have had a few tools that previous owners painted in one way or another.

Larry

Sigh

This is why people buy Harbor Freight.

No one cares much if they're stolen.

Back