What's new
What's new

Engraving/marking chamfer mill?

dieselpilot

Aluminum
I want to engrave small lettering ~3-4mm and do small chamfering, basically deburring with one tool. I did find Harvey Marking Cutters and MonsterChamfer mills with small tips. I think 2 flute engravers are common, but most are sharp. Maybe OK in aluminum? Small lathe, 4-5kRPM live tool. I've been using a 3/32" drill mill for chamfering, but the web is too large for small lettering, which is also typical of most chamfer mills. Any other tools to look for? Thanks.

I’ve used a 1/32 ball around .005 deep with good results. Also checkout the nine9 engravers. I have one of those as well that work well. There’s quite a few engraving specific tools that work well, just need to figure out what kind of look you want.

Engraving sucks. Its just not a fun process. And honestly, with conventional tools,
its not an efficient process on a mill (or live tool lathe).

I have 2 customers that got sick of the charges for engraving and bought their
own dot peen machines. No skin off my back, and at least I don't have to do it.

A sharp point will be fine in aluminum and brass. We do it all the time .003" deep, sometimes letters as small as .030" tall. And the tool OP linked looks like it would fine for deburring as well, just that small have to run a bit slow.

Following up here. I ended up getting a Monster 1/8" with .005" web and finally got around to the parts today. I can say that I'm very happy with the results, even if it was 6061.

Back