What's new
What's new

European standard drive for socket wrenches

RJT

Titanium
I have a customer that has a European division, they are supplying some sockets they want altered for assembling their product. They are referring to it as a 13mm drive and I'm wondering , do European metric sockets have a metric 13mm square drive, or is that just an approximation for a 1/2 inch (12.7mm) ? I've never seen anything but 1/4, 3/8/ 1/2 and 3/4 but I've never used a socket wrench in Europe. I won't be able to get an answer until Monday, and this will bug me all weekend if I don't find out. Someone here is bound to know.

I have a customer that has a European division, they are supplying some sockets they want altered for assembling their product. They are referring to it as a 13mm drive and I'm wondering , do European metric sockets have a metric 13mm square drive, or is that just an approximation for a 1/2 inch (12.7mm) ? I've never seen anything but 1/4, 3/8/ 1/2 and 3/4 but I've never used a socket wrench in Europe. I won't be able to get an answer until Monday, and this will bug me all weekend if I don't find out. Someone here is bound to know.

I have only USA-purchased sockets, so I cannot say what is sold or used in Europe. At one time, Facom in France owned S-K and I think I have an S-K socket that says Made in France.

But I will add that Snap-On made 1/8, 9/32, 7/16, 5/8 and 1 inch square drive tools. I think the 1/8 drive set was sold as a novelty, and I got one just because. One of the mechanics where I worked had a Snap-On chrome 7/16 drive set that he had bought new. He was happy to report that none of the other guys ever asked to borrow a socket from him. I have a few industrial 5/8" drive impact sockets that are not Snap-On and 1" is an industry standard. There is a legend that the 9/32 drive sets were only sold to the US Government as a means of discouraging theft. But they still turn up at flea markets.

Larry

I've never seen 13mm drive (I'm not saying it doesn't exist but I've yet to come across it) so it's good old imperial sizes.

FWIW 0.3 mm (the difference between 12.7(aka 1/2'') & 13mm is just shy of 0.012'' ........... a bit fine for an inexperienced guy with only a rule to pick up and some European countries round 1/2'' up to 13mm as a matter of course.

I've never seen 13mm drive (I'm not saying it doesn't exist but I've yet to come across it) so it's good old imperial sizes.

FWIW 0.3 mm (the difference between 12.7(aka 1/2'') & 13mm is just shy of 0.012'' ........... a bit fine for an inexperienced guy with only a rule to pick up and some European countries round 1/2'' up to 13mm as a matter of course.

What he said!

George B.

Atlas Copco once tried to launch a new standard square drive for sockets and power wrenches......I cant even recall what size it was ...maybe 15mm.....the stuff was super expensive ,and as a cop out (Atlas Cop-out?) they also sold an adaptor for standards......Ive seen a few of the power drives ,never any branded sockets.....I suspect A-C flogged them off as a job lot .

I have one oddball, a Britool 9/32” drive, I bought it at a flea market, thought it was a nice set but was gobsmacked when I found out that it was a little off whack, never got adopted thank heavens, all imperial drive, it survived the EU, like BSP did, they have proposed metric drive at least 3 times that I remember
Mark
Ps they tried hex drive too!

I also have come across Britool tools with a slightly larger then 1/4 drive . There was a bag of a couple dozen extensions in a surplus lot that I bought that turned out not to fit the 1/4 standard. At the time I thought that the Canadian navy in their wisdom had special ordered tools that were metric drive as they were close to 7mm but they could well have been 9/32 .At the time I emailed Britool and asked about them but never received a response

Sami -- What with Brexit and all - will 1/12th of a foot soon be 3 barleycorn? Nice hefty 3-barleycorn ratchets for JCB and lorry mechanics?

With the present bunch of clowns we have as a government .................... and that evil little c't Jacob Reece Mogg , your guess is as good as mine.

P.S. Rumour has it there's big Gov't RFQ's for ducking stools doing the rounds.

I'm surprised that with the popularity of the Torx drives, no one has used it for the driving of sockets.

Just a metric label so they don't have to admit they are using that "obsolete" system which originated the square drive socket concept in 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4" and 1" drive.

Next time somebody demands we go full metric ask them what we will do with the millions (billions?) of dollars worth of existing square drive tools.

Excuse me but I need to go now. I'm heading to the home center for some 122 x 244 plywood sheets.

I'm surprised that with the popularity of the Torx drives, no one has used it for the driving of sockets.

Actually, most of the pass-through socket sets use a spline drive where the gear teeth are external to the driving end of the socket and the ratchet contains only the pawls and springs. I've had the basic Armstrong Eliminator set for years. It's a lifesaver for jobs like removing a partially collapsed bumper energy absorber where there isn't enough room for standard sockets. The studs pass right through the socket and the ratchet head.

Just a metric label so they don't have to admit they are using that "obsolete" system which originated the square drive socket concept in 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4" and 1" drive.

Next time somebody demands we go full metric ask them what we will do with the millions (billions?) of dollars worth of existing square drive tools.

Excuse me but I need to go now. I'm heading to the home center for some 122 x 244 plywood sheets.

What is standard metric pipe?

Oh yeah

Just a chrome plated straw man

We'll do what we've done in the past when faced with change. We'll muddle through a transition period then come out the other side better for having done it. It's not like anyone is going to snap their fingers and make all fasteners/sockets/wrenches change overnight.

Picking a European manufacturer at random, e.g. Gedore of Germany, and going to their home website, the socket size is specified in inches, e.g. Steckschlüssel-Satz 1", Steckschlüssel-Satz 3/4"
FWIW, I have Gedore socket sets and the ratchet squares measure as follows .498", .373" and .248"...in other words, same as USA standards.

Back