What's new
What's new

EvapoRust: Use Aluminum Pot for Soaking?

MrCreosote

Aluminum
They say it does not remove aluminum oxide and that it does not affect aluminum - but that sounds like "won't worry if you get some on aluminum."

Using aluminum for a soaking pot could be another matter - what it soaked for a week? Is the aluminum truly unaffected?

Does anyone have any experience using aluminum soaking pots?

It's an aluminum soaking pot - the rusted item is a Weber steel flywheel.

The flywheel is 13.75 OD and the pot ID is 14 so I really want to use this alum pot.

Put a couple heavy duty garbage bags in it

or

Every thrift store has a 14" stainless electric skillet for a couple bucks, then you can keep it warm if you want

I soaked parts in a aluminum cake pan for several days using EvapoRust, it worked just fine. No damage to cake pan.

I have no idea whether it would be a problem, but I did have some odd stuff happen when I soaked a part that had a plating of an unknown type on it (did not know about the plating to begin with). Bubbled and got a whitish gunk on it that rinsed off.

Not sure if it was an electrolytic reaction or a straight up chemical one, but the plating looked a bit etched.

I took the part out out and tossed the Evaporust it had been in.

My inclination would be to put the part in on some sort of non-conductive stuff, rubber, plastic film, etc, if I had to use an aluminum container. Just to avoid problems that I do not understand.

If you want to get the soaking done now, line the pan with plastic sheet.

I had to soak a couple of 2" angle iron pieces 5' long. Dug a small ditch in the dirt and used a plastic sheet.

Use a small jar and soak a scrap piece of aluminum with the EvapoRust. See what happens after a week.

I used a plain aluminum cook-pot for some chemical rust removal awhile back. Not evapo-rust but something like it (Rust Cure). Came back in the morning to find that the fluid had eroded around the rivets holding the handles on the sides and the stuff had piddled onto the steel bench and onto the concrete floor. Both are still marked from it.

I used a plain aluminum cook-pot for some chemical rust removal awhile back. Not evapo-rust but something like it (Rust Cure). Came back in the morning to find that the fluid had eroded around the rivets holding the handles on the sides and the stuff had piddled onto the steel bench and onto the concrete floor. Both are still marked from it.

I tried phosphoric acid on Al. No problem.

Interesting that the erosion occurred at the intersection of the rivet material and the aluminum. Would appear that a electrical/chemical process occurred
between two dis-similiar metals with the solution in the middle. I looked up "Rust Cure" on the first link. Harbor Freight doesn't list ingredients.

At the very least, put something non-conductive under the gear to prevent electrical contact between the steel and the aluminum. This will prevent galvanic corrosion of the aluminum.

They say it does not remove aluminum oxide and that it does not affect aluminum - but that sounds like "won't worry if you get some on aluminum."

Using aluminum for a soaking pot could be another matter - what it soaked for a week? Is the aluminum truly unaffected?

Does anyone have any experience using aluminum soaking pots?

I might be missing something here. I assume your wanting to remove rust from Iron or Steel. Use a plastic container, Water, Arm & Hammer Washing Powder. Hang the work piece in the solution. Attach the negative pole of a Battery Charger to the part being cleaned. Attach the positive pole to a piece of steel as a slave for the rust to migrate.
To clean Aluminum. Use Lye (drain cleaner) and Arm and Hammer Washing Powder (Sodium Carbonate) in equal amounts in water. Heat the solution to 140 degrees. Do not leave the Aluminum in the solution. Review my previous post for more information.

Roger

Roger

Back