What's new
What's new

ever heard of a Packard Precision drill press?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wddanie

Plastic
I need to buy a drill press and ran across one listed in an estate sale but never heard of it and cannot google anything up on it. Can anyone tell me about this model:

Manufacturer: Packard Precision; Model: 12F-IND; Spindle: #2JT#3; 3/4 Horse Power; 1978

I'd be using it for typical prototype/maintenance shop work.

Thanks,

Doug
Atlanta

I actually had one; it's your basic import cheapo that Enco and others used to sell for under $200.

When all the moving parts went asunder on mine, I grafted a Delta Utility head onto it, and use it as a wire brushing machine.

Rob

fifth column

No new news here, just more sick-making fakery. As has been the case, the off-shore pirates are buying up formerly solid names (audio is the worst) or just appropriating solid-mid-America-sounding words, such as Chicago, Packard, LaSalle, Cleveland, Rockford to disguise their junk. Then there are the original companies, such as Ingersoll-Rand, Milwaukee, Black and Decker, Delta, Powermatic, Rigid, DeWalt, Nicholson, Irwin, Stanley, Sioux, on-and-on, who just moved all or part of their line off-shore. First question to ask, made where?

thnx, jack vines

Last edited:
I understand it was manf in 1978, which is before cheap Asian tools became so prevelant. I'm just trying to decide if its worth 5$ of gas to drive out there and look at it.

Thanks,

Doug

I have a "Packard Precision" mill/drill used mostly as a drill press - made in Taiwan -imported by some outfit in California sometime around 1980. Quality beats current Chinese - but not by much.

Are you kidding?

"I understand it was manf in 1978, which is before cheap Asian tools became so prevelant."

Really? Deduct another 10-15 years from that date!
Made in Taiwan tools were marketed in the 60's as cheaper offerings than the increasingly expensive American brands. The "second generation" of Taiwan machines began to gain some degree of respect only later - when compared to the Chinese scrap.

Drill Press Packard HD-9S 5/8" capacity

I need to buy a drill press and ran across one listed in an estate sale but never heard of it and cannot google anything up on it. Can anyone tell me about this model:

Manufacturer: Packard Precision; Model: 12F-IND; Spindle: #2JT#3; 3/4 Horse Power; 1978

I'd be using it for typical prototype/maintenance shop work.

Thanks,

Doug
Atlanta

We have a Packard Machine Tools Drill Press for sale in good shape $250.00IMG_3733.jpgIMG_3734.jpg

Packard Precision was another '80s-era importer of Taiwanese machines. Others include Foremost, Orbit, and Union Tool. There were many more. I am a fan of the old Taiwanese drill presses, especially the ones with round tables that swivel around the column. Such tables can bring any spot on the table under the spindle.

They have integral work lights and the tables crank up and down. Generally speaking, their parts are interchangeable. I have restored many. Here is an example:

400 Bad Request

metalmagpie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back