What's new
What's new

Ever made a stupid move when you KNEW better but couldn't stop yourself in time?

implmex

Diamond
Hi All:
So yesterday I had little tiny pieces to make again.
I programmed, I made cutters I turned and was about to qualify the first article.
Then right at the end of the day, I blew on it to remove some dust and I flipped it right out of my fingers onto the floor.
It's GONE!
I KNEW it was a dumb idea as I was doing it but I just couldn't stop myself in time.

So I had so use some words you're not allowed to say in church.
Then I had to come in on Sunday (today) and make new ones.
I felt sorry for myself for a bit, but it went pretty well and I'm relieved it's done.

Attached are pictures of the part and the sub assembly it goes into.
It's turned from PEEK.
The thread is M2.5 x 0.45 and it's 2 mm long.
I had to make custom cutters for the thread relief and the thread.
I also had to press the parts in a brass sleeve to turn the second side...sticking them directly in the 5C collet squashed the shit out of them even with the clamp air turned way down.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Last edited:
Is that like heating a piece of steel red hot.. knocking it off the bench and grabbing it with your bear hand so it wouldn't hit the floor?...Phil

Hummm. Here's my try:

20201031_124543.jpg

[just something I saved from an earlier post]

Same way I usually do it - picture icon, browse, click upload file(s) (which doesn't look like a button, but is), and it attached like usual.

I had one of those a couple years ago. Bought a new watch crown for my old wind-up watch and had to modify it a little - the female thread in the crown for the stem was not correct. So I got it all done and was getting ready to assemble it. I fat-fingered it and dropped it into a pile of chips. I looked for quite some time. Never saw it again. DOH!

I often try to catch dropping objects with my feet to break the fall against the concrete floor below. Sometimes those objects can be quite heavy. Usually it's just a real minor dunce moment, but I just keep doing it :dunce:

I have had those moments. The result usually releases blood. One this summer was bloodless, but released about 20K from the bank account.

I had one of those days yesterday. I had made some small parts that were cast out of resin. I was sanding the flash on the last one with no spares when I accidently dropped it on the floor and trying to retrieve it I stepped on it and crushed it to smidgen.

...I often try to catch dropping objects with my feet to break the fall against the concrete floor below...

I do that myself from time to time. Favourite trick is to try and stop a small part--that would have ended up on a relatively clean part of the
floor--and end up drop-kicking it into a messy corner and then spending a half hour trying to find it...:eek:

Pro tip: If you DO the foot trick, do NOT have your foot on the floor. If you ever played soccer (football to the rest of you) you know the tricks for "catching" a ball with your foot off the ground, and that is basically what you need to do. Just break the fall and let it slide off onto the floor.

Better yet, do not do it at all, of course. But for objects that are not too heavy, it can save the day.

Marcus,
I could have sent my wife over to find it for you, she can find anything! I have dropped numerous items and she always finds them within a few minutes. It is amazing.
I recently lost one lens out of my glasses while running the tractor down in our garden. I told her about it and the next day she walked in at lunch with my CLEAR glass lens in her hand.

She has done this at least 12 times in 25 years and it is such a nice superpower to have.....

Back