Ever made a stupid move when you KNEW better but couldn't stop yourself in time? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by implmex View Post
    I KNEW it was a dumb idea as I was doing it but I just couldn't stop myself in time.
    I can see you're the impulsive type. I, on the other hand, plan ahead.

When I fuck up, I always tell myself at least twice and probably three times, "You shouldn't do this, it's a bad idea. You'll be sorry. This is really dumb, something is going to break."

Then I go ahead and do it anyway, just so I can confirm how smart those warnings were.

2. Likes TeachMePlease, Mike1974, DrHook, eKretz liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm clumsy as hell by nature so I have made up for it by having extremely fast reflexes. In most cases it saves me. One time I was eating dinner and I dropped a steak knife. Before I had time to think I swung my arm down and caught it. when I brought my hand up from underneath the table it was sticking out of the palm of my hand. OUCH

4. Likes Trueturning, TeachMePlease liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PegroProX440 View Post
    I'm clumsy as hell by nature so I have made up for it by having extremely fast reflexes. In most cases it saves me. One time I was eating dinner and I dropped a steak knife. Before I had time to think I swung my arm down and caught it. when I brought my hand up from underneath the table it was sticking out of the palm of my hand. OUCH
    My reflexes are quick like that. It is good in anything that you do often like in a shop when things drop. Once the son and I were together and he dropped a small pocket knife. I caught it quick which surprised him he was wha! !! He intentionally dropped it the same way to test me and right away and again I caught it.

He said he had never seen anything like that ever. I laughed and told him it works the same in a fight too.

6. Likes PegroProX440 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ever made a stupid move when you KNEW better but couldn't stop yourself in time?''

Believe me, the internet is not big enough to list them all

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Montana View Post
    grabbing it with your bear hand

You have bear hands? What kind of freak of nature are you?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have done just that many times over the years. In that microsecond before you do something, your mind says this is probably stupid but you do it anyway, usually with less then stellar results. What scares me sometimes is when I am cutting on the bandsaw or something and I get the urge to run my thumb on the teeth to see if they are sharp. Have even thought that on a radial arm saw, milling bit etc. I so far have always caught myself but it gives you the willies. Definitely puts your head back in the game.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In my early teens, I spent a couple summers working for my Aunt at a snack-bar/cafe inside the YMCA.

One of my duties was washing dishes.

I once dropped a steak knife.

Thankfully, 13 year old me had reflexes like a cat. So I caught it. With obviously detrimental results to my fingers. Slicing my hand startled me, so I dropped it again.

Lightning reflexes to the rescue! I managed to stop that $3 knife from damaging its tip on the concrete floor by catching it with the soft flesh of the top of my foot, instead.

11. Likes PegroProX440, Bobw, ChipSplitter liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

most of my stuff ends up being "Concrete Soluble" you drop it it dissolves never to be found again !!

13. Likes wheels17 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just did that Saturday. Cleaning black acetal shavings from the chip pan in the lathe. Bar feed operation. At the bottom of the pan there was something that was not black. I recognised the shape just as it got sucked into the vac wand. It was the insert from the parting blade. Sometimes the last piece of the bar is at the length that the main chuck only has a tiny bit in the jaws after the sub pulls the bar out. Parting blade makes the cut but there is a lot of side pressure and the insert stays there as the blade retracts. I opened the vac but never found it.
    I replaced the insert and ordered a different blade from Iscar, TAG grip type.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    In my early teens, I spent a couple summers working for my Aunt at a snack-bar/cafe inside the YMCA.

One of my duties was washing dishes.

I once dropped a steak knife.

Thankfully, 13 year old me had reflexes like a cat. So I caught it. With obviously detrimental results to my fingers. Slicing my hand startled me, so I dropped it again.

Lightning reflexes to the rescue! I managed to stop that $3 knife from damaging its tip on the concrete floor by catching it with the soft flesh of the top of my foot, instead.
    I consider myself to be a bit clumsy and slow. BUT every time (too many... ) I've dropped a knife or scissors that heads for my feet I turn into the flash, it's like on a subconscious level.
    That said, in my first year apprenticeship I wa sawing a decent sized piece of steel, maybe 3x3 or so, few feet long. started to fall out of the saw and I stupidly "caught it", well more like just cut both hands up, but....

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So here's another try with the pictures

Cheers

Marcus
    www.implant-mechanix.com
    www.vancouverwireedm.com

Hey...it WORKED!

Now for a pissy rant...stupid fucking Windows 10 POS crap software!
    I feel much better now.

MC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscn5245.jpg   dscn5246.jpg   dscn5242.jpg  

17. Likes aarongough, Pathogen, henrya, BoxcarPete, Bobw and 7 others liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cheers

Marcus
    www.implant-mechanix.com
    www.vancouverwireedm.com

Hey...it WORKED!

Now for a pissy rant...stupid fucking Windows 10 POS crap software!
    I feel much better now.

MC
    Cool ones. I can see what you mean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ever made a stupid move when you KNEW better but couldn't stop yourself in time?

I did - "I do"

20. Likes Rudd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I hope you are wearing steel toe boots when working on things like this. Imagine what might have happened if you’d dropped it on your foot.

22. Likes Bobw, sandiapaul, fusker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seriously tho, the dog chewed on my wife's prescription sunglasses and broke a hinge. Was at the start of the pandemic and she didn't want to go to the optometrist, so I took em to the shop and machined a replacement hinge half from 4140. Was on the last step, heating up and pressing it into the plastic temple piece. Looked at it and thought I'd never find it if i dropped it. Sure enuf, down it went, never to be seen again. Had to redo it, but this time as soon as I had a hole in it I ran a wire thru and twisted it with a little flag.

Got a lot of bonus points for that one!

24. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cheers

Marcus
    Those parts give me an "animatronic finger" vibe, can you share what they are for?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Let me know when quantities are in the 10K range... 20 second part, all day, every day.

27. Likes Greg White liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BoxcarPete View Post
    Those parts give me an "animatronic finger" vibe, can you share what they are for?
    He's been making a prosthetic hand, his last few "look at my parts" threads have chronicled the journey.

29. Likes BoxcarPete liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi TeachMePlease:
    You wrote:
    Let me know when quantities are in the 10K range... 20 second part, all day, every day.

Yeah I know, I know...don't rub it in!
    I would love to have the toys you get to use, but I have to find a way on a simple gang chucker.
    Oh for a live tooled Swiss with a subspindle.

I've never gone for one because I cannot justify it, but I do have immodest lust!

So how long to program it and set it up on a Swiss?
    Just to compare, I needed most of a day, but I had to grind two cutters first and the relief cutter needed an accurate tip radius because I used it to to finish profile the part shape so it took a while to grind.

Actual machine time for me was under a minute for the first ops and under a minute for the spherical socket.
    I ran the socket profile three times to get it within tenths which is where it needed to be.
    I had to compensate for the collapse of the part when it was pressed into the sleeve and clamped in the 5C collet, so it took a few kicks at the can before I got it right.

3000 RPM and 0.001 IPR but I had to face the part in 5 small steps (I had 0.075" extra on the length after sawcutting the parts off after the first op), then poke in a 3/32 ball mill and then rough the profile before I could finish it.
    I had so little to hold onto that I was afraid to push it, so it got babied all the way.

Of course I had to set up for both ops so the actual time to make the first article was outrageous.
    If I had a few hundred to make I could charge a reasonable price per part, but for only one...a thousand bucks or so will get you there, and there's only pennies in materials.
    If I fuck one up, or God forbid, lose one on the floor , it's not like fucking up a twenty thousand dollar lump of Inconel.

They are willing to pay me for work like this because most shops won't touch a single part of this sort of size; especially with no drawings no tolerances, no nothing.
    But in the end it all still has to work, so I get to sweat the details that the engineers didn't have the time or specialized experience to specify for me.

Cheers

Marcus
    Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
    Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

31. Likes TeachMePlease, 4GSR, Greg White liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lucky7 View Post
    It’s so small, can’t you see the pics?
    I'v got some unfinished taps (just like a regular tap but no thread) that came out of guys box who worked at Bertram...I like handing them to a shop visitor...."check this out, the threads on this tap are so fine you almost can't tell they're there." Some are genuinely amazed
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 11-23-2020 at 04:30 PM.

33. Likes fusker liked this post