What's new
What's new

Anyone have a good overview of Traub screwmachines ?

Panza

Stainless
I've been looking at a few Traub single-spindle screwmachines but there seems to be quite a number of different models. The only thing I think I have grasped is that the number on the machine usually means max bar capacity in millimeters.
So does anyone have a good overview of the different models and what the differences are (both single and multi spindle)?
I have looked at the A-range as there is quite a number of those around. Some seems to have a pick-off but that severely limits the number of OPs on the first station.

The A series mentioned by camscan are all built on a small base. There was a large base A series with 36?, 42, and 60mm spindles. I have a 42, I was told the 60mm was a little weak because of casting limitations.
There is a "B" series also, a friend has a B60 I think, it has a larger distance between the guide bars and can have an optional turret (maybe TB42 and 60). My friends has the plain single drill tailstock.
The B series with the greater spacing between the guide bars would make an interesting CNC/cam hybrid. It also has supports on the cross slide cam shafts to keep them from deflecting under heavy loads.
There are later series of machines but I am not familiar with them.
If you buy one make sure you get all the available cams. For my A42 I made some adapters to use cams off a different machine. You can not have enough cams if you do a lot of change overs.
Mine had the same job on it for several years but that job just went to China. If they do not do a good job maybe it will come back.
If you have enough work for them you can build attachments, the catalogs and manuals will give you ideas. I built a double drilling attachment for a smaller automatic and a parts catcher for the A42.

All Traubs are numbered by max stock diameter as you say.All Traubs run on an assortment of standard cams. This does not mean a set of cams cannot improve efficiency but for reasonably small quantities standard cams can sort it.A multi spindle Traub? That's a new one for me. For an A series you can have 15 20 or 25. Max 4 slides and 3 end working tools. No spindle clutch so no tapping. Basic machine but reliable. TD 16,26 or 36,can have 4 slides and a 6 hole turret,threading possible. TB range up to 60mm capacity,same specs as TD.Please note, I said can have,does not have to have,you need to check when you buy.

Curious Camscan do you have the world's greatest memory or were around cam operated screw machines longer than most of us? I last ran one in about 1990 and I think that is where most of us are, they are distant memories. You seem to know everything there is no know about them at the drop of a hat. I can only contribute info about them here and there because of the time gap.

Very informative camscan and FredC ! I did not know the A-series could not thread, so that helps a lot.
Since Index-Traub seems to be one company now: What about the index single spindle machines ? Wonder about the ER-series: How is the cam-setup on those ? Is the max bar size in the name of those too ? Threading ?
I have not seen a multi-spindle Traub either, just wondered if those existed.

Not trying to hijack the thread but how do the Traub's stack up against others?

I ask cause im fascinated by the use of bar ways (often said to be a disadvantage) A local shop I was at briefly has 4 Traub autos 2 run regularly but break down more often hahaha

Not trying to hijack the thread but how do the Traub's stack up against others?

I ask cause im fascinated by the use of bar ways (often said to be a disadvantage) A local shop I was at briefly has 4 Traub autos 2 run regularly but break down more often hahaha
The basic machines are pretty bullet proof, the ones (A series)around today are 50 years old, and probably have made millions of parts. The factory tool holders were made for flexibility to hold and center a variety of tools. When you have a set up with seven tools and around 300 degrees of cam rotation to get every thing done the tools nearly collide all the time, a dull tool will shift and collide with another, you forget to tighten one fully and you get a collision. An operator turns the handle the wrong way when loading a new bar and moves a tool you get a collision and spend hours resetting things.
The basic machine keeps chugging out parts when all is well.
My buddy with the B60 had a feed motor burn up and the replacement motor he is using does not have a brake so when it shuts off it keeps coasting forward and causes problems. Not all motors last 60 years.
To the OP external threading can be done with self opening die heads. My other automatic has a vari-drive on the feed and I can set the drilling slide to the correct advance per revolution with a dial indicator. With a Traub you would need an exact cam made or an AC drive on the feed to match the correct feed needed.

The Traub range of machines was later(may still be)made by Unamuno,I believe in Brazil. I am not a believer in tools being near collision,if you cannot spread the tooling differently,ie only overlap tools not adjacent,then it is better to lose a second or two in cycle time rather than lots of down time.
Agree that more clearance is better, but sometimes when using a double knee tool on the drill slide or a box tool and four cross slide tools with cams on hand things get tight. When things are moving fast a 1/4 clearance does not seem like much and an operator moving a cam by cranking backwards or forward without the spindle turning moves cams from where you put them.
My main point is the machines themselves do not break much. Over here someone named Lydco or something like that was selling Traub TB copies maybe made in Brazil the same as the Unamuno you mention. Could that have been Unomuno? They built an upside down Traub with the guide bars on top and swing tools, my GK 25 is supposed to be a copy of an Unomuno.

Found an old ad for Lico Traub copies they were made in Taiwan and sold by a distributor in Harlingen Tx named Lipoco. Not sure if they are still there, but they did say they had Traub replacement parts.
Cams is correct on the spelling of Unamuno, I only heard of them from an associate and he probably mispronounced it. I did see photos of their old 15mm machine. It only had 2 swing tools and provisions for a drill slide, my GK is a Taiwanese copy of it or the original Traub.
The photo below is the GK 25, the tool holders and cutoff slide were built by me to replace the original junk stuff.
GK25CO2.jpg

Back