Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Friend worked at the post office, they moved to a nice new location.

Picked up the sorting machines for the move.....Yup....pieces of mail under the machines, years, maybe decades old.

What to do ? He said you just quietly put them in the "lost mail" bin, and hopefully
    they would continue on their way.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When my son was in high school he would hang out in my shop. I have the bad habit of setting finished pieces on the bandsaw table. Well one time, my son was visiting and used the bandsaw. I couldn't find the pieces I had finished that day for ANYTHING. Well, it turns out my son is 4 inches taller than me, and he but my small parts ON TOP of the bandsaw. I never did find them; I when home frustrated and he asked what was wrong, and went and got them, hardly containing his laughter. It took a lot of effort not to rip a new one that day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some years ago, going through the kitchen junk drawer, I found a 15-year-old claim check for a pair of shoes I'd left at a shoemaker. I put it in my wallet and eventually found myself in the neighborhood. The place was still in business, so I thought "What the hey!" I went in and presented the claim check and sheepishly asked if the shoes might still be around. The guy poked around in the back and finally came out and said, "Believe it or not, I found them!" I said, "Great! I'll take them with me." He said, "They're not ready yet; come back next Thurs."

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was grinding off a couple of welds on a small part (grinder and paint makes a welder what He ain't), phone rang and set the part in the grinder pot. After answering the phone it took 2 weeks to find the part, it was underwater. That's cheating!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One day I lost a small curved cold chisel I was using to trim the end off some decorative parts giving me a consistent finish. I spent an hour or 2 looking before I spent half an hour making a new one. I got home and went to the bathroom to clean up and heard a clunk when my shirt hit the floor, it had been in my shirt pocket all afternoon.

I now have a bit of a rule for myself. If I cannot find something in about 5-10 minutes I stop specifically looking for the item. I start putting things away and cleaning the shop up. I find I generally find the item as fast as I would continuing to look for the item, sometimes faster. And the time spent looking was at least productive time cleaning up the shop rather than wasted looking around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I call this last bit "Ron's Rule" after my friend Ron who applied to negatives in the darkroom - if you can't find the one you were looking for, put everything else away, and often, low and behold it will reappear in the sleeve it was supposed to be in.

In my own shop, I sometimes have to stop and have a "put away" - the 17mm wrench is unquestionably On The Bench, with about 200 other useful and necesssary things - but nothing can be found in the disorder there. Put it all away. Low and behold it is now quickly found. (Guess I could just sort it in place on the bench....)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OT, but in the spirit of the thread:

My dad, a professor at Denver University, found a book he had checked out from the DU library 20 years earlier.

He returned it, and they graciously waived the $62,500 late fee.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Worked at a place where the manager had been promoted from a machinist he was a nice guy but had a tough reputation and was known to like a scrap or two if people crossed him but he was a fair guy who would rather help you than hinder you.One day he came looking for a job quoting job numbers told him Fred its no good quoting numbers to me I do hundreds of jobs in a week tell me what day and what it is and i,ll have a look in my book and see if I have done it.Anyway couldnt find it in my book of jobs done,but by his discription I told him I had done it the previous week but it had been moved onto whatever the next operation which I didnt have a clue what that was.He was getting more and more angry and I could see why he liked a scrap as he certainly could get himself worked up.It annoyed me when he said I can remember you doing it couple days ago which was rubbish it must have been at least a week and he half jokingly/seriously said you havnt scrapped it have you,which annoyed me.I said do you realise that job is about 10feet long and takes a crane to load it and two pallets to sit on so its not exactly small check the inspection records if they have passed it then you will know I havnt taken it home as an ornament.He looked and looked kept pestering me and at end day it was still "missing" eventually 3days later he came past and sheepishly said found that job it had been send out for plating so for three days he badgered me for nothing thinking I must have put a 10ft long job in my lunch box and taking it home on the bus.Crazy system you had to note the jobs you did daily in a note book,Then book the job off on computer,do the same on daily time sheet,Then end day repeat the full days work on another computer and they still lost jobs.Think it was overkill,too much paperwork used to baffle them

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have three opposite takes on this thread -- (A) finding something you didn't know existed and (B) finding the wrong thing!

(A) -- Yesterday I was cleaning off a shelf over my computer desk and found two 1/2 inch nuts tied together about four inches apart with dental floss and then was taped to a board! I have absolutely no idea why that exists and, since I have lived by myself for a bunch of years, I have no one else to blame.

(B1) -- I was brushing my teeth one Monday morning and looked down as saw my toothbrush sitting on the counter -- the first thought is my mind is "what am I brushing my teeth with?" Turns out it was the old toothbrush that I was chasing mold around the shower stall with the previous day! To say the least, it was the worst thing to happen to me that day, if not that week!

(B2) -- Back when I was a young tyke 60 years ago, my father had a friend who was a fabulous freehand sign painter, but the only problem was that he always had to have a can of beer in the hand opposite the one with the brush to work. We were in his beer can littered shop for some reason or other, and all of a sudden the painter started spitting and cursing – instead of the beer he was drinking, he picked up an old beer can that he had used to rinse brushes in and contained dirty mineral spirits!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We had a grad student from Nepal, who had dropped a part on the floor,and was actively looking for it. A coworker and I mentioned that it could have been carried away by Gremlins. This got him very concerned, what are Gremlins? where do they live?, In the five years he had been in America, he had never seen, or heard of Gremlins? We explained to him that they where small furry creatures that hide in dark shadows, corners, and crevices, and if they see something drop on the floor, they will run out, collect it, then hide it. He was upset that these creatures could have been living in his apartment, or lab, and had never known about them, Are they dangerous? do they spread disease? We finally had to let him off the hook , and tell them they are fairy tale creatures, and not real. We did bring him in a copy of the movie Gremlins to further explain what they are. Machinists, and academics, it can get ugly... For the same student we made up a shit list, or how the word shit is used in the the US vocabulary, that was fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back in 1989 I used to run a Mori SL-35.
    I can't tell you how many 6mm allen wrenches I lost simply by dropping them onto the conveyor.
    They always seemed to disappear! It's like it was magic, and nobody believed me.
    about 5 years later I had to take apart the conveyor belt to fix a couple of links, and guess what I found....4 of my 6mm allen wrenches inside the belt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One of the WORST cases of being absent minded is when my step father,who was in the Coast Guard,an Engine Man Chief,changed the tire on a Dodge "Power Wagon". The new tire was put on the truck,and a half hour later it returned with the new tire gone flat.He told mom and mer that he took the TIRE IRON out of the tire,put on another new tire,and never said anything.

He used to drive me nuts. We had an old reel type mower with a small Briggs and Stratton engine on it.He'd have to take the carb off of it sometimes. But,he'd lose one part,then he'd lose the next part,etc,etc,etc!! We were working onm a flat,smooth concrete patio where it was impossible to lose a part!! I'd have had the damned thing back together in 5 minutes. But,I was the stupid kid who knew nothing at that time. I have no idea HOW he managed to keep the large diesels on the ship going!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Those are what I call "attractive spaces". Anything that rolls or falls near them will disappear. I had a small gap between the backsplash and splashpan on my lathe that stole a few small items until I installed a rubber flap.