What's new
What's new

Ex-Cell-O Lathe has stuck 6" chuck

RICKBROWN47

Plastic
I assume the spindle has right hand threads.
Have tried several methods to remove the chuck including impact driver with no movement.
Is there something I'm missing?
See attached pics.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20190414_121743.jpg
    thumbnail_20190414_121743.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 202
  • thumbnail_20190414_121805.jpg
    thumbnail_20190414_121805.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 257
May be A type spindle. If those are three bolts in chuck face down near bore they may be holding the chuck on the spindle nose which is NOT threaded if A type

i had the same problem last year with a south bend. i sweated a lot trying many things. do not lock the lathe in back gear like some say; its a good way to lose gear teeth. use a strap wrench on the chuck (i bought a rigid at home depot fore about $60.00) or make one out of a used serpentine belt. the hard part is to keep the spindle from turning. i made a collar to go around the rear of the spindle with a oak insert to go inside the spindle hole with a very tight fit. this internal plug was attached to the collar. it also wouldn't hurt to make a "cover" to enclose the 3 jaws and cover those with another piece of oak . this will help with the strap wrench. while pulling on these, a sharp wack whth a mallet may help. again, keeping the spindle from moving is the tough part. you should have a helper with this. i hope that this makes sense.

Place it in the lowest belted speed.

Optional is to use a clamp to make front and back sides of belt touch or other method to prevent spindle from turning.

Two ways to turn chuck...

One is get a breaker bar and socket, place socket in Chuck such that breaker bar is horizontal.

Put breaker bar in and put your weight on it, jump so your weight will bounce on the bar.

Other method is place Chuck key spindle straight front and place key in hole.

While applying downward pressure gently tap it with the biggest hammer you can find. 5 pounder or bigger...

Much better than harder smacks with small hammer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Never try to remove the chuck by trying to turn the chuckwith the key or a lever of any type in the chuck key hole. I have a chuck that has a broken key square drive from this.

May be A type spindle. If those are three bolts in chuck face down near bore they may be holding the chuck on the spindle nose which is NOT threaded if A type

I would never try un-threading a chuck If I was not 100% sure that it was a a threaded mount.

John has offered a question. Answer it for yourself before trying any other solution!

The internet is blind. See for your self.

I would never try un-threading a chuck If I was not 100% sure that it was a a threaded mount.

John has offered a question. Answer it for yourself before trying any other solution!

Yeah, the pictures the OP posted show nothing of the spindle or the chuck. if we got a good look we might be able to figure
out what the chuck mount is...

I have an old Summit lathe, and the chuck was stuck but good. I knew it was right hand thread, though, because I had other chucks that came with it. I tried everything to no avail, so I finally gently heated it, and it came loose with a rap of a soft hammer. I think that someone crashed the lathe to get it stuck, as there was damage to the linkage for the drive chain (a bent shoulder screw). Luckily, nothing else was damaged. Mine is an oddball spindle, with 56X3 mm thread. Haven't been able to find chucks anywhere. Actually, the whole lathe is an oddball, and I keep searching for an affordable replacement.

There is a tool called a Permelee wrench,which can grip a round shaft without marking,and apply as much force as is necessary to unscrew the chuck..........you may be able to hire one.

Back