What's new
What's new

Experience & opinions about "Green" / "Safe" coolants / lubes

jdelaney44

Plastic
Looking for any experiences and/or opinions about any of these:

• LubeCorp's GreenCut Cutting Fluid (not the Plasma Arc Fluid).
  • Oemeta's Hycut system
  • Anything else that's at least claiming to not cause dermatitis & respiratory irritation

I've seen a few posts here from a year or more ago from folks are using the GreenCut & the Hycut and are happy. Looking for updates or more recent posts if you don't mind.

Background - I have a CNC'd Bridgeport and will be converting a LeBlonde lathe to CNC in 2020 hopefully. Home / Garage shop setting. I use flood cooling & have devised ways to control splash & contain what does hit the floor. I've been using Trico TC1 which has been fine. I want to move to something as "non-toxic" as possible. I also use Accu-Lube LB-6000 in a squirt bottle when I don't want to fire up the flood system.

BTW, Ballistol might be in the running too.

Thanks,
-j

Experiences and/or Opinions?

I have no experience with any of the cutting fluids that you have named or any that are labeled or sold as "green".

But opinions:

After so very many failures, lies, and downright frauds by the "green" community, I am very mistrustful of anything labeled "green". It is my considered opinion that manufacturers label products as being "green" purely and entirely for the purpose of generating more sales.

Many, dare I say ALL, such products are less "green" than the ones that they hope to replace. It is simply a sales tactic to get people to spend more money for their product instead of being economical and buying the other, less expensive ones.

As far as how I judge how "green" anything is, my very considered opinion is that the LESS a product costs, the MORE "green" it is. This is because the cost, in dollars or any other currency, of a product contains in it the totality of the resources that were expended in making and selling that product. So if you want to be truly "green" then spend fewer "green backs" on it. That is how you save the planet, not by making new millionaires by purchasing new products that cost more because they utilize more resources in their creation.

That is my opinion on "green". But you also seem to have touched on possible health hazards. Those can be a real concern, even from the viewpoint of being truly green. In my use of the fiscal cost of a product as a measure of "greenness", ALL costs must be included and that includes present and future health costs. So I do avoid products that are a possible health risk.

I would say that you have exposed the hazards of total economic costs when factored into a purchasing decision well.

Yes, in the end price turns out to be a relatively poor measure of total cost. Differences in economies of scale, differences in recognition of cost in an accounting sense, the every present influence of tariffs, taxation and tax relief, the external costs such as health care, disposal, seller's competitive motivations and other total cost of ownership / use, and more are often totally neglected or hidden by the price. Especially in the short run.

Also to your points, people lie, right. We've all seen manufacturers try to work social media like they were users of product both to sell their stuff and slag the competition.

I also agree with many that "Green" and "Safe" are malleable terms. The difference in whats on U.S., EU, Canadian SDS's pretty much proves that. Citizen beware?

Hence I'm trying to find some real people using these or other products.

Green cut does not mess with skin- and I look at some chemicals and hive. Mix at or richer than suggested or you will get rust. Works better than valcool or Lennox band-aid. With flood I do not feel it in my throat/lungs. I run a mister on a bpc with it but still wear a surgical mask then because- mist.
50 50 mix works as tapping fluid too.

I have only good things to say about the Hangsterfer's 5080 I use. I believe it's an emulsified soybean oil. It's basically food grade. I've splashed it in my eye and it doesn't even sting.

I am sorry if I got this discussion off on the wrong foot. It is just when I see the word "green", I see RED. Too many people with their own, self-serving agendas.

I have stepped off the soap box and will say no more due to my lack of experience on the subject. But I will be following this thread as I also am interested in products that are safe and effective. But I may ask a question or two about specific products discussed by others.

I would say that you have exposed the hazards of total economic costs when factored into a purchasing decision well.

Yes, in the end price turns out to be a relatively poor measure of total cost. Differences in economies of scale, differences in recognition of cost in an accounting sense, the every present influence of tariffs, taxation and tax relief, the external costs such as health care, disposal, seller's competitive motivations and other total cost of ownership / use, and more are often totally neglected or hidden by the price. Especially in the short run.

Also to your points, people lie, right. We've all seen manufacturers try to work social media like they were users of product both to sell their stuff and slag the competition.

I also agree with many that "Green" and "Safe" are malleable terms. The difference in whats on U.S., EU, Canadian SDS's pretty much proves that. Citizen beware?

Hence I'm trying to find some real people using these or other products.

Back