What's new
What's new

Exterior flood light recommendations

jermfab

Cast Iron
Like the post says, I’m in the market for exterior floods and I don’t want to conduct my own informal survey of everything available. I’m quite happy with the LED tubes I settled on for my interior fixtures, but I bought more duds than I care to admit before finding ones I really like. I also have concerns about the quality of LEDs, in this application.

I currently have two 20-amp branch circuits, one switched, one not, that run into five boxes. My plan is to run motion lights on the always on circuits and just floods on the switched one. I need five motion lights and five floods. Ideally something with high output and reliability.

Follow up question:
I am currently on a Delta-Wye configuration, spike-leg service. A number of the LEDs I’ve seen both fluorescent and flood advertise accepting anywhere from 120-277V. Theoretically I should be able to run these lights off the high leg in my system? It varies, but I’ve seen as much as 215V and as little as 165V. Too much to trust most 110V only devices on that leg, but within the range the lights advertise. Anyone have experience here?

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy

I’ve never head your terminology, but I’m assuming it’s a high leg delta. You have a A and C phase that are 120 V to ground, and a high leg B phase that is 208 V to ground, and 240 between any 2 phases?

If you are seeing the voltages you say, I think you have a problem, the voltage should never drop from 208 nominal to 165, that’s the equivalent of seeing your 120 volt service drop to 95 volts. That should never persist for more than a few seconds.

Usually the 208 isn’t extended as a single phase, but if you have it ( it should be orange wire, typically). You can drive the lights with it.

Correct. High-leg. C-phase in my case cause that’s how I like it.
240 volts between any two legs, but the spike-leg does vary.

Irrespective of any issues I may have with incoming power, the question is that any device that advertises it will work in a 120-277V range, load to neutral, should work off my high-leg as a single pole, load to neutral circuit, right? Main reason I ask is it will allow me to fill a couple gaps in my panel board if so. All the same, I’d rather not burn up a light testing the theory.

I was really hoping to get someone who either loved or hated a particular outdoor LED flood lamp. Usually this group is chock full of opinions.

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy

these guys have commercial units.

The roadway lights caught my eye for parking lots.
super powerful, the guys said they are perfect for areas where it's very expensive to get a truck in to replace the bulbs, since these will last many years. take a look through their floods.

Outdoor

Like the post says, I’m in the market for exterior floods and I don’t want to conduct my own informal survey of everything available. I’m quite happy with the LED tubes I settled on for my interior fixtures, but I bought more duds than I care to admit before finding ones I really like. I also have concerns about the quality of LEDs, in this application.

I currently have two 20-amp branch circuits, one switched, one not, that run into five boxes. My plan is to run motion lights on the always on circuits and just floods on the switched one. I need five motion lights and five floods. Ideally something with high output and reliability.

Follow up question:
I am currently on a Delta-Wye configuration, spike-leg service. A number of the LEDs I’ve seen both fluorescent and flood advertise accepting anywhere from 120-277V. Theoretically I should be able to run these lights off the high leg in my system? It varies, but I’ve seen as much as 215V and as little as 165V. Too much to trust most 110V only devices on that leg, but within the range the lights advertise. Anyone have experience here?

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy

Might make research easier for you to use a well established outfit who has been selling lighting online for decades. I have found them very informative and they carry the whole choice of items. The know how they have is outstanding and never pointed me wrong.

Light Bulbs from the Web's #1 Lighting Retailer | 1000Bulbs.com

Back