What's new
What's new

External Roller Burnishing

Joe Miranda

Titanium
I have an rfq for a 1pc order of a shaft that has a couple of diameters that they are asking for roller burnishing. I have roller burnished id's but never an od. In looking at the external tools that are out there - they look expensive - like the cost of the tool is going to exceed what I would think the 1 part price would be.

Like a lot of you, our business relies heavily on these specialty orders that can not be easily obtained out of the country. So we have tailored our processes to come up with unique ways to solve a wide range machining requests. This particular request comes to us from a manufacturer that we would very much like to add to our customer list.

I am thinking we could probably make a suitable tool and I am wondering if any of you have done it and if so would you be willing to share your ideas.

I get my ID stuff from cogdsill. they are by no means cheap, but I wouldn't tinker with making one for how well they work. I believe their OD tool is a few hundred bucks, it may make sense to eat the bill to gain a customer and you get a new toy.

What company did you find it at?

You might check with Rolled Threads Unlimited, they are in your neighborhood. They may be able to do it for less than the cost of tooling.

I know a tool supplier down in Houston that stocks 3" rolling wheels for burnishing the corners and OD's on zip grooves on drill collars. They work great for other roller OD burnishing.

Ken

Back