What's new
What's new

Extra large 3/8" allen wrench

pianoman8t8

Hot Rolled
Hey guys, at my work we have several big 3/8" allen wrenches (L-shape, not T-handle), nobody can seem to remember where they came from many yrs ago, but the overall length is 4" x 11". Anybody know where I could find more of those?

Most long arm keys in 3/8 are only about 7" or so. I think an 11" long one may be a special.

Edit: I just checked Bondhus. Unfortunately their 12" long wrenches only go up to 1/4".

IMO your originals were almost certainly special order, and will be today, and with so many ''old names'' no longer in business / buggered off to China to make shite for HF & Walmart etc etc, I'd start with custom tool manufacturers - like thomasnet

Custom Hand Tools

You can get a set of "Squirrel cage" allen wrenches for reaching the shaft on a squirrel cage blower through the fins. Mine are 15" long. Not sure who sells them since I have had mine for quite a while, but they are available.

Buy a allen wrench socket (probably 1/2" drive) remove the short 3/8" hex bit,
and buy some hex stock, make your own whatever length you need.

Buy a allen wrench socket (probably 1/2" drive) remove the short 3/8" hex bit,
and buy some hex stock, make your own whatever length you need.

Best stock would be cut from a T-handle key. Perhaps weld to a standard L key, using the long arm as the short arm on the finished tool.

It's a tough situation. Likely those keys were special ordered in bulk originally. The 3/8 size is the killer. The Bondhus 12 inch keys don't go that big and hex shaft couplers (to join two pieces) don't go that small. IMO only a "Frankenwrench" DIY solution is practical for small quantities.

PS: McMaster's pre-hardened hex stock doesn't run that small either, which is why I suggested cutting a T handle key.

I had a couple of them from the 1970's. Dad said they were used to adjust the clutches on a Warner Swasey turret lathe. Don't know if that was the manual turret lathes or used on the SC Lathers. Ken

I think we're going to try out the one from pegasusautoracing and see how it goes. It's almost the same thing we currently have, minus being 2 pcs. But that doesn't matter.

PS: McMaster's pre-hardened hex stock doesn't run that small either, which is why I suggested cutting a T handle key.
I saw that, however, call them.

My friendly swiss shop purchase plenty of hex stock, I'm sure it's out there.

Best stock would be cut from a T-handle key. Perhaps weld to a standard L key, using the long arm as the short arm on the finished tool.

It's a tough situation. Likely those keys were special ordered in bulk originally. The 3/8 size is the killer. The Bondhus 12 inch keys don't go that big and hex shaft couplers (to join two pieces) don't go that small. IMO only a "Frankenwrench" DIY solution is practical for small quantities.

Pre-hardened hex stock is also like soft cheese compared to good hex keys if you need to apply more torque.

4140 prehard (mcmaster) 35 HRC Yield Strength: 105,000 psi
Bondhus hex keys 57 HRC 320000 PSI UTS

Back