What's new
What's new

Extruded aluminum air lines - Which brands are best?

btm

Hot Rolled
My employer has built a new 100,000 square foot facility and we are currently working on electrical, piping, etc. on the interior of the plant.
For air lines, I would like to use the blue extruded aluminum for the ease of maintenance and modification in the future.
I've been doing some research and would like to get some feedback from folks in this forum.

What are your experiences with the extruded aluminum air lines in a large industrial setting? Any major issues with installation, quality, etc?

Which brands do you think are best?

Most appear to use plastic couplers. Do they hold up over time?

Thanks in advance.
btm

I have installed the Ingersoll Rand simpleair? In 2 customer places. Expensive but great. I like the fact that the couplings are infinitely reusable, so changes can be done on the fly. Every joint is a union so fast installation. I haven't used the new aluminum couplings, I have only installed the older all plastic ones. Going to be placing an order here shortly for the new stuff.

My customers usually only use the IR piping or copper with propress fittings.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

I just installed a Prevost air distribution system. All couplers are aluminum housing with and insert that has stainless teeth. Piping comes in dimensions from 1/2” to 2.5” I believe. It’s easy to cut and drill. You can drop tees of the header or install their tapping flanges. For the latter you drill a hole in the side of the pipe anywhere you want a drop and install a tapping flange that wraps around the pipe. Fairly easy to install once you get the header brackets aligned and all. Piping comes in 19.6’ lengths to cut down on couplers. The selection of couplers is very substantial. Hope this helps.

Aluminum IME corrodes badly in standing water. Compressed air in many systems is more or less wet. I have no experience with Al air piping, but I'd want to hear some good reasons why this will not b a problem, or see some installations that have lasted.

Aluminum IME corrodes badly in standing water. Compressed air in many systems is more or less wet. I have no experience with Al air piping, but I'd want to hear some good reasons why this will not b a problem, or see some installations that have lasted.
I wonder what the dryer requirements for the OPs install? Not sure I’d be happy with AlOx floating through the system...
Joe

I used the Kaeser brand. Aluminum fittings with stainless gripper rings. Easy to install, works perfectly, no issues for the last 10 years or so.

I have no experience with Al air piping, but I'd want to hear some good reasons why this will not b a problem, or see some installations that have lasted.

Coated both inside and out for one, slope is another. Should be much better than galvanized pipe if installed correctly. But, from my years of experience, most people don't install steel pipe correctly.
JR

Extruded aluminum tubing is not recommended for pressure application as it technically has a seam where the aluminum comes together in the die (I was told this by my extruder). Me? I used copper pipe and sweat fittings. You can assemble everything and then go back and sweat them together.

Extruded aluminum tubing is not recommended for pressure application

Gee, you'd better tell both OSHA and ASME that because they both have approvals for it.

As for the copper, I hoped that you used type K or L for your air lines and you have matching fittings. The fittings that you buy from the big box store won't cut it. Also there is a specific solder for compressed gas applications. Oh, type K is green and type L is blue.
JR

I ran the Uponor pex-AL-pex air lines in the last two shops from supply house. It's been great easy to put in, no leaks, no problems.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Thank you for the feedback.
One brand I just started looking at is Infinity.

Can anyone provide feedback on the Infinity Air system?

Thanks
Brian

I can't speak for the Infinity Air system. I used Rapidair Maxline when I set up this shop. That was 5 years ago now, and I have had zero issues.

Back