What's new
What's new

Fabric rollup slide covers - material?

gregormarwick

Diamond
Anyone know anything about fabrics?

We have an old Boko mill that has fabric covers on all the vertical slides, the cloth is on a spring loaded roll and rolls up or pulls out as the slide moves.

All the existing fabric is pretty much ruined and tears just by looking at it wrong. It's about 0.5mm thick, and I guess the thickness is pretty critical for the full length to fit properly in the roll.

Anyone got any recommendations for a type of fabric to replace it with?

if i need heat resistant fabric i use linen and impregnate it with waterglas.

Dad used to have a Takisawa V1 vertical mill with a "window shade" like that on the Z axis. It would shred every 2-3 years max. We wound up rebuilding one, but it didn't last much longer, so we bought a stainless sliding cover from some place that makes them.

If you can buy from them efficiently, McMaster has neoprene/fabric combos that make great way covers. You'll have to see if they offer something thin enough for you.
After many years of oil, coolant and hot chips the only failure I had was an impact tear.

It all depends on the machine on which you make/process this fabric. It's just that there are powerful machines that work too fast and thus tear the fabric. When I worked in the atelier I used the fabric finishing machine, as I worked with very thin fabric. She works carefully with the fabric and has never damaged the fabric. Most likely, you need to replace the machines. Of course, if you can replace the fabric, it will be faster and cheaper. Just changing all the machines on a production takes quite a long time.

I had a Victor vctr 4 with the "window blind cover " for the z axis.

McMaster has a fiberglass reinforced fabric with (Teflon?) that worked well once I figured out how to secure it on the initial roll surface. I ended up using an epoxy with clamping as thee wasn't a way to mechanically fasten the sheet to the roll

I have 2 machines with roll up stainless steel covers on Z. About $1500.00 to replace when you launch a big workpiece through them. I have never done that, but I do hire people to do that for me.:wall:

Back