What's new
What's new

Face Mill recommendations for less rigid machine - Haas Mini Mill

sirAIG

Aluminum
Looking to purchase into a quality facemill.

1.5"-2.5" Diameter - insert that allows swapping for use in aluminum, steels, stainless, ti.

Schools out for me on lead angle, I'd like ability for 90deg shoulders, however my primary goal is surface finish first and foremost. Mainly aluminum and stainless. Mrr at this time is not important to me as 99% of my work is prototype work.

Buy once cry once... Where should I start looking first? Sandvik?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

We use a Mitsubishi AXD4000 in our non-ferrous applications in 1" and 2". Great finish and MRR. They have inserts for Al and Ti but they're not recommended for stainless.

I have had very good results with shell mills from Mari Tool (Frank Mari is a member here) on a "less rigid" machine (Rockwell Horizontal/Vertical mill.) Mari makes the shells and also sells the inserts (Sumitomo, Kennametal, Corloy, Ceratip.) I doubt you will find a single insert that will work well for all your applications and materials. Also if you get one shell and have to swap out inserts every time you switch materials it will get old real fast. I would get at least two or three shells to start and set each one up with the best insert for the material and application. Talk to Frank Mari about your application (or your local tooling rep.)

Mari Tool* is at Tool Holders, Collets and Machine Accessories - MariTool

*Disclaimer: I am not associated with Mari Tool in any way other than being a very satisfied customer.

-DU-

FOr steel and SS try a 45 deg. single sided insert facemill. I have an Iscar SOF845 with a double sided insert that cuts .315" deep. My VF-2 can't even get close to maxing it out.

Sandvik R390 has inserts for all types of material.
Also if you're looking for strictly face milling their R245 is a great option.

Ripper mill, eh? Looks like a great roughing tool. Im assuming since it has been recommended here, it is capable of giving stellar finishes as well?

Back