What's new
What's new

Face o-ring for hydraulic piston

Lanza

Aluminum
I'm looking for machining information on this face o-ring groove on a hydraulic piston. The step is 0.070" deep, groove diameter 1.250", the shaft diameter is 1". The step has about a 10 degree taper. I assume the o-ring CS is 0.125".
Is there charts about these types of grooves for machining?
attachment.php

That's a bit of an oddball since it is a square groove with only one wall. You said face seal, so it will have a plate fixed to the top as seen in the picture, sealing pressure from the inside to the outside? In that case you want a -121 size (1.049" ID, 0.103" CS). If there's any possibility that it's something other than that, help me understand what else goes into the assembly.

If this is on the surface that seals against the rod then use a -1xx series as BoxcarPete said. A -2xx series(1/8 CS) would overfill because of the shallow depth. Most pistons use a simple chamfer there.

Ed.

The face of the piston with the o-ring groove fits against the face of a turndown on the cylinder rod so the o-ring is trapped in between. The 10° taper in the groove seems a bit much as 5° is typical SOP for this application. The Parker book can help you figure all this out as you need a percentage of squeeze on the o-ring. I had proprietary charts for these groove sizes when I did this kind of design work but I can't pass this on because they were, well, proprietary.

So in that case I will affirm my recommendation of an AS 568 (or ISO 3601, they are the same size chart) -121 o-ring is your best bet for that existing part, but it is an aggressive 30% squeeze and a narrow 120% width, usually you'd see more like 20-25% and 140% width so just be wary of overfill.

10° might come from the inclusive angle of 5° per side? Looks like it might have been a homebuild, maybe whomever made it was doing some seat-of-the-pants engineering and ended up with that?

Chances are the -121 will be OK, it's not optimal but probably will work.

Back