What's new
What's new

Fagor DRO problem

beckerkumm

Hot Rolled
I installed a Fagor DRO on my Rambaudi mill. The X axis travels 47" and the scale is a CT 124 with a reading range of 49". It works fine except that the last few inches on either end don't read. Scale is indicated within .002 both ways and read head is positioned .06 per instructions. I reduced and increased that distance within the parameters ( .02 ) but the problem was the same. Any suggestions as this is my first attempt installing a DRO. The other axis work the full distance but of course the range is much less. Dave

For what it's worth, you can call Fagor, there tech guy is great. We have installed there equipment on several custom machines here , some that we built in house and Fagor came up with what we needed to make it work.
One time we messed up and ordered the wrong scales and we had them here for about 6 months, Fagor took them back and sent us the correct ones, no problem.

If it reads everywhere except the ends right out of the box, then the two main reasons for this would be manufacturers defect or misalignment. if it reads everywhere but the ends, it is a good indicator that your reader head is i good shape. if its a manufacturers defect, my guess would be glass.

Jon

Messed with DRO some more and found it was inconsistent in addition to not reading on the ends. I believe the head was cocked slightly so it was in effect diagonal. I loosened the screws and reset it. While I had been careful to set the gap, the head must have very little side to side variation. As usual, I probably self inflicted. It does seem to measure a little differently than my calipers so that will be the next thing I deal with. Thanks for the help all. Dave

When you check for accuracy of movement, first check a shorter movement via indicating off the actual reader head. That will show the most true movement. If you check off the quill, there are many exterior factors outside of the scale that could cause the movement (slop in the saddle to knee, knee to column, head, quill, etc).

If you indicate directly off the reader head and it is showing repeatability and is relatively acurate (you could need to do error comp, but as long as its close and repeating) then the scale is functioning properly. If you are not repeating or your movement is WAY off when you are indicating off the reader head, then you either have a defective scale or improper mounting.

Jon

Back