What's new
What's new

Fall shop mice !! suggestions on kill bait ?

Any one use anything stronger than the TomCat green kill cubes? I think mice just like to eat the stuff for fun and never die.

The poison we get now is formulated to require multiple feedings so your pets won't die if they accidentally get it.

The problem is they eat some, feel bad and avoid it later.

A mix of traps, glue traps, bait, fix the holes, eliminate food sources like pet and bird feeders, concrete and steel..., moth balls,

You could try talking to someone with pesticide licenses like exterminators and see if they have anything stronger, but then they want to sell you a plan.

I like these traps
71Cs3cszXpL._SX425_.jpg

The best trap is the five gallon pail of water and rotating tin can-- it auto resets and can catch dozens in a night.

I had great results accidentally with a pan of old engine oil. They go in for the drink, accidentally drown in the oil
that stinks like the gates of hell though, impossible to get rid of that smell.

I recommend throwing out trash everyday and keeping food in freezer. Remember that even a sandwich crust is a great meal for mice.
Also, check the room for holes in wall - a half day with bucket of plaster of mortar helps a lot. Of course it depends of size and condition of building.

Cat is not a solution as somebody will eventually feed the cat with catfood and sandwich leftovers. I think that everyone likes salami more than mouse-brains.

I disagree cat is a valid solution. The cat doesn't have to actually eliminate the mice it's presence alone deters them. But then you have to deal with a cat.

Preventing the mice from entering the building in the first place, making the shop inhospitable for them and eliminating any potential food sources is the way to go.

My shop is surrounded by dense bush and I don't have any issues.

At the Tx shop what we have found as the best mouse bait is an empty trash can, placed right against a tool box (or other object the mice can climb), then an order of good tacos and salsa. Bait can with taco wrappings and half empty salsa containers, next morning all mice will be in garbage can, use appropriate level of water to deal with problem (there is always one that can swim longer, use careful nudging to solve that problem).

No No No !

Your supposed to "Live Trap" em, then slowly drown them....haven't you been reading anything from the "chemist from Philly" ?

With chemical means, you can't see, manipulate, and control the actual killing process, nor derive the physcotic pleasure from it....:nutter:

Cat is not a solution as somebody will eventually feed the cat with catfood and sandwich leftovers. I think that everyone likes salami more than mouse-brains.

It depends on the cat. My cat used to catch and kill mice when she was younger, same with spiders and other large bugs. She has always been well fed. She would chew on them and spit them out. Now as she has gotten older she just plays with the mice catch and release style, she lost her killer instinct. At least she is good at flushing them out. I get them to run in a box and toss them in the woods. I never get mice in the shop, only in the house and they aren't that far from each other. There never is any food in the shop, only beverages.

I would love to have a mouse problem rather than the one we have............ Skunks

In 10 years living in the woods in Virginia I have seen a total of one skunk one time on the property. Strangely enough when I lived in Riverside California just outside the city limits I saw a skunk running around on the one acre lot all the time. Maybe it was the same skunk, not sure they all look alike to me.

Mice love peanut butter take a 5 gallon pail 1/4 full of water a 4 ft ramp up to a teter toter weighted so it will reset over the middle of the bucket smear peanut butter on under side of out board end of teter toter . mouse smells peanut butter climbs ramp to get it goes out past center which over weights teter toter mouse drops in water and after swimming for some time they voluntarily give all the while sing to there fellow mice who smell the peanut butter and come to join the swimming party . using this way it is amazing how many mice may be caught.
That failing or plain spitefulness one can use [ under the rules that state clearly all is fair in love and war ] using the methods not likely approved by the Geneva convention , plaster of Paris mixed with corn meal can settle the issue .
Good luck

50/50 sugar, and plaster of Paris

They never seem to develop an immunity. So I was told.

The Tom Cat type poisons work for me. I have about 60 baits around and under the house and very rarely do I ever see evidence of a mouse in the shop or house.

IME rattlesnakes are far better than cats. The one time we had one living in the shop there were NO mice. Once it was killed, lots of mice.

Way back, I had some friends that lived in an old apartment above a candy store and an ice cream shop. Once they borrowed my cat and rubbed him along the baseboards. They didn't get mice and then got a couple of cats themselves for pet reasons. When they moved out my wife and I moved and she had a cat that came along. All of the cats that lived there were thoroughly useless as hunters. I never even saw a mouse turd in there and it should have been mouse heaven. Since most of us don't have a cat we can rub along floorboards, someone needs to invent a cat scent to spray in buildings to deter mice.

In the shop now, I use a combination of poison baits and traps. Back when I worked at a brewpub, also in an old building, I learned from the exterminator to use a combination of access control (steel sheet lined grain storage), cleanliness, and multiple trap/bait types with at least one that can serve as in indicator of if/where they are.

Back