Fastenal Bolt prices - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fastenal sticks it to the little guys and bends over for the big users, and you can not give them a blank check if you order from them, they are a last one called in my shop...phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A pretty good source for hardware is Caterpillar, quality is good, prices are reasonable on the hardware, they are usually quite prompt, several shipping options, pickup, drop boxes etc, and service is good even if you just need one piece.
    Here is a link to their catalog, all the dealers use this catalog, it helps to know the part number from the catalog.

https://www.miltoncat.com/getattachm...spx?lang=en-US

3. Likes tommy1010, john.k, JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Our Fastenal went cashless in Feb. Starting this Monday they are going to be open from 830 am to 1200 noon for walk in customers. They still have the delivery trucks. Now they are pushing website purchasing with free delivery to your local store. If you cannot pick it up by 12 noon it will be in a locker outside the store with some pin number access. Check ou the website as prices are a lot lower if you shop this way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have Grainger, Fastenal and White Cap (HD Supply) all within a ½ mile of each other. HD Supply gets my business hands down, the prices are great. I found that to get a good price, I need to call in the order, speak to someone in inside sales, and they will go out of their way to quote a fantastic price. Fastenal will match prices if you get a quote, but why bother? Grainger is ok if you aren't in a hurry, but they never have what I am looking for in stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fastenal is, and always will be, a shitty company for the little guy. I almost exclusively use McMaster, because at some point, you get tired of bullshit. They may not always be the cheapest, but for me, they are the most reliable, and carry almost everything under the sun. That is value to me.

Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No one's mentioned Zoro. They are some sort of 'black Bart' charterer of Grainger I guess. I've had impressive luck ordering on their website. Pipe fittings.....cheap, and good quality albeit from China or Ti-won. And sometimes fast. Like order today at 3pm and it's in the mailbox next day at 2pm. No clue how they do that here in the middle of nowhere supplier land.

8. Likes Strostkovy liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Zoro is literally Grainger owned with a unique and different business model. All tech no physical stores, salesmen etc.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dkmc View Post
    No one's mentioned Zoro. They are some sort of 'black Bart' charterer of Grainger I guess. I've had impressive luck ordering on their website. Pipe fittings.....cheap, and good quality albeit from China or Ti-won. And sometimes fast. Like order today at 3pm and it's in the mailbox next day at 2pm. No clue how they do that here in the middle of nowhere supplier land.
    I ordered insulation for a powder coating oven and it came delivered in 32 boxes the next day. It was not at all expected but very convenient. Other than opening 32 boxes.

11. Likes dkmc liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Behner View Post
    I'll make the nuts before I go back there.
    Called local fasten-nil for 1¼-12 nuts. Yup, got 'em.
    The punk had them on the counter. Told him, nope wrong pitch. That's what you asked for. That's a 7 pitch. I need a 12 pitch. Now he's pissed. So whadda ya want me to do? Uh, get the right ones would be your next step. Told me he'll call when in. He didn't. I called him. Yeah, they're here. Typical asshole response. I'm in a helluva hurry to get this piston rod done. Run down there to find more 1¼-7 nuts on the counter. Shouldn't have, but I sorta exploded.....alot! Drove 40 miles south to get the right ones.
    that's when you would to ask his boss [is it your thing here to hire the handy cap ? and before he can reply say . you may think there fun to watch but this clown and your co. are costing me money and wasting my time ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ries View Post
    Fastenal owns HoloKrome, the bolt making company, and they also own a bolt factory in China, and a few smaller plants in the USA.

My guess is they do a lot of wholesale of bolts to other sellers, but, like Grainger, small shops are not their market. They have plenty of big accounts that want ONE invoice, and dont really care if they are paying more.

Somebody must be shopping there, they sold something like $5 Billion worth of product last year.
    Meanwhile, McMaster Carr only did something like $328 Million worth of business.

So Fastenal sells more than 15 times as much as McMaster. Obviously the people like me and you who dont shop there are heavily outnumbered by companies with fat wallets.
    I'm not sure where you came up with your McMaster numbers. McMaster-Carr is a (very) private company, so there are no official numbers available. Forbes has estimated their sales to be 5 Billion, and there are various other estimates in the 2-4 Billion range.

14. Likes Strostkovy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Boltdepot.com is a good source for bulk fasteners. Worth comparing anyway.

Fastenal (Fasten-some as I've heard it called here) is not made for the little guy, as has been mentioned.

Even their LTL, which used to be great, is now more in line or even more expensive than 'regular' ltl.

16. Likes Strostkovy liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fastenal owns HoloKrome, the bolt making company, and they also own a bolt factory in China, and a few smaller plants in the USA.

My guess is they do a lot of wholesale of bolts to other sellers, but, like Grainger, small shops are not their market. They have plenty of big accounts that want ONE invoice, and dont really care if they are paying more.

Somebody must be shopping there, they sold something like $5 Billion worth of product last year.
    Meanwhile, McMaster Carr only did something like $328 Million worth of business.

So Fastenal sells more than 15 times as much as McMaster. Obviously the people like me and you who dont shop there are heavily outnumbered by companies with fat wallets.
    McMaster does not advertise, pretty sure that is what keeps them 1/10 the size of Grainger and 1/15 the size of Fastenal. I don't know anyone who sings the praises of Grainger. Grainger saturates auto racing radio broadcasts with ads and Fastenal sponsors a Nascar cup car. Obviously advertising trumps word of mouth and excellent service for sales volume.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gbent View Post
    I'm not sure where you came up with your McMaster numbers. McMaster-Carr is a (very) private company, so there are no official numbers available. Forbes has estimated their sales to be 5 Billion, and there are various other estimates in the 2-4 Billion range.
    That Forbes estimate is out of line with any I have heard. I realize the volume is just an educated guess. But just out of sheer number of locations and total square footage they have to be way smaller than Grainger. McMaster has like a half dozen location, Grainger has hundreds.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CITIZEN F16 View Post
    That Forbes estimate is out of line with any I have heard. I realize the volume is just an educated guess. But just out of sheer number of locations and total square footage they have to be way smaller than Grainger. McMaster has like a half dozen location, Grainger has hundreds.
    Have you been to a McMaster-Carr location? I've been to Chicago and LA. They are huge.

Below is a google maps screenshot of McMaster's Chicago location. The little vertical things across the top are semi trailers, for a sense of scale.
    capture.jpg

capture_grainger.png
    Above is the Grainger location nearest to McMaster. Same scale. The little vertical lines are cars.

Notice the difference in scale?

While McMaster will let you walk in and place an order if you have an account, they make it pretty clear that isn't how they do business.

(edit: Oh phooey. The images got scaled by the forum. Look at the red location mark flag. It is tiny on McMaster and huge on Grainger)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Isn't McMaster a private company? How does anybody know what their sales figures are on anything?

I seriously doubt any comment on Fastenal or Grainger being bigger than McMaster without sources.

Just my own experience, I worked for a fat cat pharma company for 25 years. We ordered from Fastenal, Grainger, and McMaster. McMaster was always the the go to for most stuff.

Also, we wound up with a fastener supply contract from Fastenal at a certain point. From some vendors I bought some stuff for my shop but getting the fat cat discount. Needed some blasting grit, Fastenall said they'd give me the super fat cat discount my employer got. Sure enough just like some other guys have stated the cost was much higher than I could get many other places.

What Fastenal actually is instead of what it could be is very sad. When I first heard the about the company I though man what a great idea. They aren't worth a crap.

Again, how do any of you guys know how much McMaster sells of anything?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From all the posts like this thread and other BB similar experiences with them I never considered Fastenal untill I was looking for a bunch of self-threading small (I think #6) screws several years ago. None of the places I checked locally, 3 or 4, had or could even get them. So I stopped in the Fastenal place, I use to drive past it every day twice, and the could get them in a few days. So I did get them and they were reasonable price. Don't remember the details now but I sure was surprised. I'll admit the old lady at the counter wasn't exactly the most congenial person I ever met. :-)
    ...lewie...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I’m just a little guy buying only a few $thou of fasteners/year, so all I ask of businesses is to be open about prices online so I can compare vendors and accurate about actually having stock.

Just don’t waste my time.

Fastenal doesn’t get my business. Doubt they care or even know about guys like me.

Bolt Supply House wants my (meager) business and gets it.

L7

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gbent View Post
    I was just googling- and I found Dunn and Bradstreet says $328 million - https://www.dnb.com/business-directo...f373fd0ad.html

But regardless of the actual number, I gotta believe that fastenal makes more money. A lot of other companies sell HoloKrome screws- and fastenal makes em. So their manufacturing arm could, indeed, be the cash cow, but you cant run that many stores and lose money on em for very long, as a public company, without going broke. My guess is they make a profit at most stores.

Nobody is disputing their sales model is crappy for a small shop.

I just think the ultimate market for 1 man shops is still, in dollars, tiny compared to selling truckloads a month to big companies.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One thing I forgot to mention in my origional post is about shipping costs. In the past if I needed something my local Fastenal did not stock or have on hand, they would charge me shipping to have it delivered TO THE STORE.

With Grainger I can order on line or have the guy at the counter order things not in stock and pick them up the next morning With NO SHIPPING COST.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was just googling- and I found Dunn and Bradstreet says $328 million - https://www.dnb.com/business-directo...f373fd0ad.html
    No way I believe that number. McMaster is the Amazon of industrial supply.