What's new
What's new

Fastenal vs Mitutoyo Tool Calibration Service

Stihl290

Aluminum
Has anyone used Fastenal's and/or Mitutoyo's calibration service before? Looking to get a few basic tools (caliper, mic, etc.) calibrated for now for a possible contract that requires NIST certified tools. Comparing the 2, Fastenal is cheaper and down the road from me but I'm not sure what the turn around time is. Going to check when the open on Monday. I know for sure that they will have to send out the tools to a lab but I'm hopeful they will handle to tools with care. Hopeful being the keyword. Mitutoyo has a 2 week turn around time with the customer paying shipping to and from their lab with a $39 min order.

I'm a little bias toward Mitutoyo because most of the tools to be calibrated are Mitutoyo brand so it would make sense for them to calibrate their own branded tools(according to my logic). Both Fastenal and Mitutoyo are both accredited to ISO/IEC 17025:2005 so spending the extra money for a certificate saying the tools are in specification may be wasteful.

If anyone knows of a calibration lab in SE Massachusetts that is accredited to ISO/IEC 17025:2005 by A2LA or equivalent and has traceability to NIST standard, I'm all ears. I would prefer to deliver/pickup my tools than to ship it thru UPS or whatever.

Even though these prices are "outdated" I'll attach links to info anyways.

Thanks

2015- https://www.fastenal.com/content/documents/2014/11/Calibration_LC.pdf
2015- https://www.mitutoyo.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2169_Cal-Lab-PL_2015.pdf
2017- https://www.mitutoyo.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/cal-lab-pl2017.pdf

Accred
https://www.fastenal.com/content/documents/2018/USCalibration_A2LA.pdf
https://www.mitutoyo.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/A2LA-CERT-0750-01.pdf

Last edited:
Get a set of calibrated gage blocks and do them yourself. I expect your QC manual will require calibration of items such as micrometers on a weekly to monthly frequency.

I would not trust Fastenal with handling of delicate measuring instruments, no matter how much cheaper the service would be. Mitutoyo, not a worry.

If you want something local here are some choices, but you'll have to confirm certifications yourself:

metrology calibration services in massachusetts - Google Search

my experience with the local Fastenal has been like this:

if you need a box of 1/4-20 grade 8 shcs, and youre talking to the manager, owner, or someone similar, fine. tho they can be sourced elsewhere cheaper with better documentation and cheaper. I only went there if I needed it right now.

if you get a new or lower level employee, leave and come back when the manager or owner is there.

this is the 1st ive heard of their calibration services. could be ok? I dunno, id take my experience with them as a warning and go most anywhere else. fwiw, I haven't been in there in 10+ years.

Agree with the above re fastenal. There is a retail fastenal near me, and on the occasions when I have gone in there something has always happened that sent me back out the door disappointed. I wouldn't trust them to be competant at calibrating anything.

-Marty-

If anyone knows of a calibration lab in SE Massachusetts that is accredited to ISO/IEC 17025:2005 by A2LA or equivalent and has traceability to NIST standard, I'm all ears. I would prefer to deliver/pickup my tools than to ship it thru UPS or whatever.

Accredited to ISO/IEC 17025 is already "better" than just "traceable to NIST" as among other requirements the accreditation requires that the calibrations are traceable to NIST OR other international standards.
You can't have ISO 17025 calibration without traceability to NIST/international standards.

1. But I have also heard that some (US) companies understand traceability only and only if it goes to NIST.
2. Both Fastenal and Mitutoyo calibrations are probably traceable to NIST since they operate in US. Mitutoyo could partly rely to Japanese NMJI?? (I'd ask from the calibration labs directly what they state in their calibration certificates, as US companies they are probably used to "Traceable to NIST"-sillyness)

Maybe you'll get better hints from "locals" but you can search trough Accredited calibration labs trough ILAC-MRA
>> Signatory Search International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation

Select United States and you get a list of accreditation "companies/bodies" in US --> ANAB, NVLAP, A2LA (+IAS that didn't have anything interesting)
click from "accredited facilities" and you get a search with options. Massachusettscscs seem to have a metric ton of accredited labs...that can be a problem or a bonus..

First example from ANAB search http://search.anab.org/public/organ...Cert-and-Scope-File-07-02-2018_1530561857.pdf
(seem to be pretty limited calibration capabilities but you need only to to calibrate a caliper instead of CMM it might do)

another: http://search.anab.org/public/organ...Cert-and-Scope-File-03-22-2018_1521746970.pdf
another2: https://portal.a2la.org/scopepdf/1411-01.pdf

We started doing our own calibration a little over a year ago. We started with an old George Scheer gage block micrometer calibration set. Sent it to a local calibration lab and had it certified so we "know" what we have. With that we can check and calibrate 90% of our stuff in house.
101_3618.jpg
I've also been getting individual standards for our micrometers and having those certified too. Most tools should be checked annually, but that can vary if you aren't using them regularly. Having a certified standard with each tool helps the operators know the tools hasn't been messed with between certifications.

With our work, we don't need to be ISO tracable or anything, it's more for establishing a known factor in your tools, rather than just trusting in some inherent accuracy.

I bet Fastenal sends them out to a local shop which will vary depending on the stores location.
Bill

Yah well... I've been all over our local Fastenal - picked up two pallets just a few hours ago. For damned sure there is nothing under-roof in the way of metrology calibration gear. Of course they send them out.

Call me over-researched, but WTH? There has never been a great deal of "mystery" about finding calibration services.

They even advertise!

You'd think the buggers were actually running some sort of a "service business" instead of dealing black magic in secret!

Go figure..

Is a McRib sandwich just as good as a rack of slow cooked smoked ribs?
Is Harbor freight a good source for professional errr anything?

This list could potentially go on forever. Why are we even asking this question? Fastenal vs Mitutoyo? H.S. Harry vs Long Island Indicator? the list is so long I can't even think of some funny ones right now. Stupid question, especially providing PDF's to view, I want an article or something.

R

If it’s just a couple of tools as you say and they have to be NIST traceable then just buy a few new ones. They come with certs and it never hurts to have an extra tool around.

If I was going to spend the money on sending precision measuring equipment out to be calibrated, I'd be more comfortable sending said items to a company that specializes in metrology, rather than an industrial supply company. YMMV.

If it’s just a couple of tools as you say and they have to be NIST traceable then just buy a few new ones. They come with certs and it never hurts to have an extra tool around.

Lots of new tools come with only "traceable to NIST" factory certificates that are not going to cut it if you need ISO 17025 calibration.

Get a set of calibrated gage blocks and do them yourself. I expect your QC manual will require calibration of items such as micrometers on a weekly to monthly frequency.

Um... weekly..monthly? Not sure what you are doing, but even working for BIG COMPANY, I've only seen yearly for certs... with some things marked "calibrate before use"... Once a month or week is nuts, but it's your manual.

I hadn't paid attention to where I saw it, but didja know Starrett's Weber Gage stated that the average life of a set of gage blocks was three years?

And these are the "Croblox" people?

For every lovely old "veteran" item of metrology in my hoard, there may have been a hundred like it worn out or damaged-out.

It doesn't REALLY last forever when it gets actual USE.

Back