What's new
What's new

Fastener Identification Help

colton_m

Aluminum
Hello everyone,

I have a mystery fastener I need some help identifying. I'm not sure if this is a "custom" fastener or something available off the shelf, but I have no idea what to even call it. Please refer the the photo and specs below:

OAL: 0.588" (15mm nominal?)
Pin Dia.: 0.116" (3mm nominal?)
External Thread: M4 x 0.7 (2mm long)
Internal Hex: To suite 2mm allen key

So far I've been referring to this as some type of "reverse" shoulder bolt.

Sourcing the exact same fastener isn't important, I would just like to know what these are called if it's an off the shelf item? Next question would be where can I buy them? I have a project coming up where a fastener like this would be ideal... If I can find them.

Thanks,
Colton.

Mystery fastener.jpg

Definitely not a sex bolt or Allenut, assuming that there is no internal threads. Any reason a dog point set screw wouldn't work for the application other than quick removal of the fastener? That is all these are, way long dog point set screws.

Definitely not a sex bolt or Allenut, assuming that there is no internal threads. Any reason a dog point set screw wouldn't work for the application other than quick removal of the fastener? That is all these are, way long dog point set screws.

No internal threads on this, it's external. It could very well be a long set screw that was turned down.

The application is a pivot for a hinge. I need about 1.25" of reach on the pin / dog-point end, so having the threads at the top is a must. The only other way I can accomplish this is by using a long dowel pin and holding it in place with a set screw. The issue then is the dowel will not be pulled out with the screw when you remove it. Not the end of the world, but not ideal.

Dowels with internal threads for removal from blind holes by pulling are a stock item. So in a pinch, you could use one of those together with the securing set screw.

Like this? Threaded door hinge pin?
http://www.vw-wholesale.com/resize.aspx?file=B00413_343838.jpg&width=388&maxheight=280
resize.aspx

Back