What's new
What's new

Removing Gorton 3Z Spindle How?

adh2000

Titanium
The 3U spindle is just clamped. No big deal. But this 3Z casting surrounds the spindle so it must come out the top or bottom but neither seems possible. Must be some trick to it.

Alan

C'mon I need some help here. Ries I think you have a Gorton 3Z, maybe Stephen Thomas as well. Has anyone had the spindle out?

I about to buy a 3z and have been reading quite a bit about it. I found this:

http://gorton-machine.org/forms/form_1321/page05_large.jpg

It says that the standard machines were supplied with non-removable (interchangeable) spindles. Removing for restoration restoration must be possible but it sounds like they are not easily replaced.

There is a drawing of the two construction types in here:

Gorton Pantograph Instruction Book and Parts Catalog : George Gorton Machine Company : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

I hope that is of some use. Let me know what you find as I am hoping to pick up my machine this week.

James

3Z spindle

C'mon I need some help here. Ries I think you have a Gorton 3Z, maybe Stephen Thomas as well. Has anyone had the spindle out?

I am in the process of restoring a 3Z, did you ever find out how to remove the spindle? any tips would be greatly appriciated.

No. No idea. I have used my 3Z a couple times and it works fine so decided not to worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back