What's new
What's new

Figuring out slot location

vonleyser

Cast Iron
We have some rings that we make and I haven't a clue as how to set the height location to cut the slot,

Is there a easy way to figure out how to do this other than trial
and error on my part.

Picture shows detail, critical part is the depth so the ring will break
under pressure

Thanks guys

IMG_6129.jpg

As I read it, the slot is on OD's center at a 70° angle.

But the drawing is missing the slot width, I would try an use a slitting saw if the correct width is available.

Yeah dimensions are not complete. Going by the scale of the drawing (no-no) it looks like the slot goes though center and bottom is .464" from the top edge. So just set it up in a vise straight, use the DRO to mark your center point location then rotate the vise to hit the 70° angle and line back up to your location with the slitting saw. I doubt that location is super critical if it's a built in failure point. Check with customer first on the center point and width of slot of course.

I'm old school- I'm sure there is a better way, but I'd start with a 4" square piece of plate. Mill a boss 2.75" dia. to locate the part in the center, and drill and tap a hole for a strap clamp across the top.

Clamp the ring to the plate, take it over to the rock and layout my center point on that edge. Then kick it up 20 degrees on the sine plate, pick up my crosshair with the height gage, and layout my saw cut.

Take it over to the mill and set it up at the same 20 degrees, pick up my layout lines with the slit saw in Z. That puts my slit saw at the center of the part.

Then just touch off that edge and move over my .464" in X and saw through the ring and the plate at the same time. Remove the part from the plate and load the next one...

I know exactly what that part is used for and I've probably drawn that up for many out there with a straight slot instead of a "skive cut" as shown over the past 35 years. They are generally "saw cut" probably not over .060" wide. In theory, when this ring is expanded, that cut is supposed to help bridge the gap so the sealing elastomer cannot go past the split. It's a gimmick and does not work that well in use. Yeah, get with the customer and get them to update their drawing with necessary dimensions that you need to complete the part.

Ken

In a case like this where the drawing is not complete and the customer is not forthcoming I create a .dwg from the .pdf, (which you might have to make yourself from a photo) and then I can kind of check dims.

"wall" is .580" - because 3.91 - 2.75 = 1.16 and half that is .58". .464 from that = .116 "holding it together"

It will APPEAR on the bevel side less than that .464 depth - because if centered, the full depth with be "in air"

Above assumes a slitting saw with some diameter fed straight in radially

If done with traversing axis, it will appear differently - like as if done on a band saw

We have some rings that we make and I haven't a clue as how to set the height location to cut the slot,

Is there a easy way to figure out how to do this other than trial
and error on my part.

Picture shows detail, critical part is the depth so the ring will break
under pressure

Thanks guys

View attachment 268426

Back