What's new
What's new

File cards - yes or no?

gene-pavlovsky

Plastic
I've read at least 5 threads here about hand files, their usage and care.
Lots of interesting info, however one topic seems to have divided opinions.

Several people say file cards are a diabolical invention of file manufacturers, designed to help them sell more files. Allegedly a file card's hardened wires is a great way to dull files' teeth.

Other users recommended using file cards often.

People in both camps seem to have a lot of practical experience, with many mentioning some of their files are in use for 20-30 years and still work well.

All the other threads were not focusing specifically on the discussion of file card usage, often other topics were discussed, such as acid sharpening, not putting oil on files, etc. I'd like to ask a focused question specifically about file cards. Yay or nay?

P.S. I have a file card and had been using it on my cheap files (used infrequently). I am now waiting for a set of nicer Pferd files, and want to take better care of them. By the way my file card is also from Pferd and is single-sided (short metal wires) - for some reason I couldn't find any file brush (synthetic bristles) here in Europe, all the file cards on amazon.de are of the single-sided wire variety.

Find a few fired rifle cases, 30/ 762 caliber or larger. Flatten the case necks in a vise, then rub them on the teeth of your files to cut the teeth profile into the case. Make one for Bastard cut, fine cut, etc.
IDK about file cards ruining files but a flattened case cleans a file way better than any card ever will, especially if your filing soft metal that wants to stick in the teeth.

On most of my files I chalk the file and then use a rag to move the swarf out of the teeth. It works until you get pinning (swarf jamming in the gullet) at which point I usually use a brass tool lengthwise to the teeth to push the crap out. I have carded files when they're really jammed up (usually with a really soft metal) but it's not my habit.

I use a file card. A proper one with bent wires used in the correct orientation to the teeth so that the wires get under the angle of the teeth. I also use a carbon steel point to dig out embedded specks of metal. If that treatment blunts a file, the file is too soft!

Mal
AKA The Felsted Skiver

I've not had great success with file cards. My go-to is a hand-sized block of wood with a sharp, square-cut end. Pine/fir works for some clogs, but harder wood like oak gets most junk out. With wood, you can rest the tip of the file (edge) on a solid surface and 'smack' the edge of the wood against the file along the grooves if you have a stubborn clog.

I just use the cut end of a piece of aluminum, generally a 1/4"x1"x6" piece of raw stock for a part I make a lot of. This works much better than any file card I have ever used. It gets down into the teeth and cleans them out in a way that a file card can't.

My current file card is a Colton's made by the Lutz File and Tool Co so yes I have a good file card.

We use a fair number of files deburring gear teeth, so . . . This thread is somewhat of a shock to me- We regularly use file cards to clean files- wire in them is not hard and cleans up a clogged file pretty well. The brush on the back side we use for a final "tune up" to get the loose stuff gone. The file cards have a little flat point "pick" that stores in the handle for pushing bigger chunks out of the file teeth. I can see where the wood and aluminum options work as well, but I never considered that using one would dull a file. These file cards are pretty old and have seen a lot of use, so possibly the "good" ones have gone the way of the dodo bird?

I just wipe the thing with a shop rag. I'm not building a space shuttle.
From everything I have read from you I trily do respect your opinion but not on this. A proper file card works wonders!

I hate trying to use a clogged file and have found that a file card is the way to go. Chalk does work but there is nothing better than cleaning a file properly, I only use pherd or vallorbe files, and have never had an issue with a file card. Loads of apprentices that I have helped had not even seen a file card.

I've seen cards made by pretty much every file manufacturer from <1900 to present. Call me crazy, but I'm going with 'good way to clean a file' vs some conspiracy theory bs.

From everything I have read from you I trily do respect your opinion but not on this. A proper file card works wonders!

I hate trying to use a clogged file and have found that a file card is the way to go. Chalk does work but there is nothing better than cleaning a file properly, I only use pherd or vallorbe files, and have never had an issue with a file card. Loads of apprentices that I have helped had not even seen a file card.

It is a file, used to deburr stuff, break edges, etc.. why the fuc* are we overthinking the little bits?

Yes, I know a good file is great, a cheap file is crap, buy a good file (used to be nicholson) use it until it is dull, and THEN BUY ANOTHER ONE

edit: nothing wrong with using a file card- cheap expensive or otherwise. they work, they help, don't know about them making a file "
less usefull" :confused:

I use file brushes all the time. I never buy a file card that only has the wire bristles. I always buy ones with the horsehair (or badger, or synthetic, or whatever) non-metallic bristles on the back, and 99.99% of the time, that's the side I use on my files. It's way more effective for small dry filings than the wire side.

I file dry, and usually not in anything gummy. If my files were pinning frequently, I'd use the wire brush, followed by the brass pusher already recommended.

FWIW, the pad of wire bristles is the actual "card". Textile industry uses similar things "to card" cotton, wool, and other raw fibers. So I don't use the card on a file card, but the reverse side brush.

I use a welding brass brush and it takes care of 99% of clogging. I use it often. I only use a file card if the brush leaves something behind.

I've always used file cards. My favorite are the wooden ones with metal bristles on one side and nylon brush bristles on the other. I also use a pick to clean out the bigger boogers that the card won't remove.

Let's face it. There are a lot different filing tasks that files are used for. Some are a real art. Some, not so much. Keeping your file clean is always an advantage. I like using a file card for that. YMMV.

Ted

I've seen cards made by pretty much every file manufacturer from <1900 to present. Call me crazy, but I'm going with 'good way to clean a file' vs some conspiracy theory bs.

gullible you, you've fallen right into the file manufacturers trap! j/j, I agree, cards are ok. I chalk them and for a stuck bit use a bit a brass. Good files seem to last forever even with the occasional carding so no issue imo

We have a number of file cards around the shop. Mine has a pic built into it for the more difficult bits, but for the most part, if a properly used file card doesn't clean it, we use a piece of brass sheet-stock mounted in a wood handle.

I don't know about cards dulling files but I do know not cleaning them will make file life short. I always airblasted when easily available and a card otherwise. I could have a file last a year while most of the others would be grabbing new ones every couple weeks from clogged and chunks mashed in too hard to get out, never bothering to clean/card them ever.

Back