What's new
What's new

Filling a bandsaw downfeed cylinder

kustomizingkid

Titanium
Bought a bandsaw and the manual downfeed cylinder is pooched. I have a seal and new cylinder rod on the way, but now comes the question of how much fluid to fill it with and what the bleeding procedure is. I mostly am afraid of overfilling and blowing out the seals which are coming from the UK as the only source...

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general-archive/adjustable-hydraulic-downfeed-93889/

This thread talks about them in concept...

Bought a bandsaw and the manual downfeed cylinder is pooched. I have a seal and new cylinder rod on the way, but now comes the question of how much fluid to fill it with and what the bleeding procedure is. I mostly am afraid of overfilling and blowing out the seals which are coming from the UK as the only source...

good god man, snap out of it! how the hell would you be "blowing out the seals' with just the weight of the head creating pressure? "coming from the UK as the only source" what? for this application, take an old leather belt from your closet, (pants belt) cut some circles, good to go!:)

I'm aware of the ridiculous nature of that idea... that said if you saw the cylinder you might be less surprised by the concern. You would also likely not be surprised to find somebody hanging from the band saw frame or some nonsense until it does explode. I recon the system capacity is likely just going to be close the the full cylinder volume.

Back