What's new
What's new

Finally found a new YouTube channel worth watching

wheelieking71

Diamond
So, I am bored out of my mind not only with the work I have been doing (Yes I was warned about burn-out. And, yes it is happening)
But, I am also bored as hell with the same regurgitated YouTube content lately.
Last night i stumbled on a channel about a guy in his shop makin' parts on CNC equipment! WOOT!
Linky: Intro Video - YouTube

Maybe I am late to the party, and you all seen this already? (I have been waaay too busy)
But, I am really enjoying what he is putting out there. Especially since I am nothing more than a glorified widget maker anymore.
It's nice to see some "real" work! Ohh how I miss it.

He does interesting work, but any video I've ever seen of his has been borderline painful to watch. Once you get used to him they're ok, especially if you know the payoff will be there, but his gifts are not in video making or editing :-)

It's kind of like watching the lecture of a extremely intelligent professor, who isn't a particularly strong teacher: still worthwhile, but it takes a bit of work to get the value.

Dude is a badass. $9k blanks of Inconel, in an integrex, on jobs where he's doing stuff like making his own Capto toolholder blanks (with TSC channels!) and hand coded broaching.

His exiting/narration skills suck because his brain is too full of machining badassery. Pro-tip? Watch Edge Precision on 1.5x speed and it gets way more watchable.

He does interesting work, but any video I've ever seen of his has been borderline painful to watch. Once you get used to him they're ok, especially if you know the payoff will be there, but his gifts are not in video making or editing :-)

It's kind of like watching the lecture of a extremely intelligent professor, who isn't a particularly strong teacher: still worthwhile, but it takes a bit of work to get the value.

Honest question, what do you dislike about his videos?

I really like the in-depthness of them. They're some of the only videos showing the setup of machines that a lot of us will never even get to see in person.

I like his videos. That Integrex is like a $1,000,000 Leatherman Multitool. Every video is like watching him open up a different blade. He doesn't brag. He never fucks up. All the parts he makes are extremely complex and they look beautiful when he's done. Many are some kind of pain in the ass material too.

He'll never have mass appeal though. Youtube is the land of hobbyists. Some guy with Uncle Grandad's clapped out 9" Southbend in the basement can't relate to this guy at all.

There is a limited audience that can really appreciate what he is doing.

Is odd been whatching you tube for 3+ years now .Just trying to pick up a thing here or there to help me out. Started a manual machine shop about a year ago for my own use. Not even my kinda thing but WOW that is some good stuff. Just now his stuff popped up on my suggested list. Wonder why??? Hes been on there for years.

Honest question, what do you dislike about his videos?

I really like the in-depthness of them. They're some of the only videos showing the setup of machines that a lot of us will never even get to see in person.

I'm trying very hard not to come across as too harsh, because I know that's the typical response to just about everything on this website. He is obviously an extremely smart guy, and a very, very skilled machinist.

But the videos I've seen lack polish, as does he as a presenter - it's just not his strength. Thankfully he's willing to share what he knows and does anyway, and those of us who are truly interested in the work get to learn from him. I often find myself wishing some of the other YouTube channels would spend a little less time on their video editing, and a bit more time on their machining - but with this gentleman, it's the opposite.

I think his intro video is a great example: you only get one chance to make a first impression, and his is filled with way too much background noise, a lot of dead air, and not much that's memorable.

The video where he's turning those huge blocks of 316 off-center in the Mazak is crazy cool, but you're 4 minutes in before you see anything other than him strapping blocks around. The thing I wanted to know the most about in that video is the fixture - I would have loved some close-ups of it empty, and some commentary about his process for figuring it out, designing, or building it would be something I would pay money for. Even if he were just to do some voice-over afterwards, it would be more than enough. I think we can all agree we don't need yet another machinist video where we watch video of the guys hands and listen to him ramble while he plays with all the trinkets his adoring fans send him for 2 hours.

Make no mistake: I'll be watching his videos, and learning a lot from them.

I will add. Have you noticed his comments. Seem very open and informative. Like some have said and I agree, he does not have to do these and any info one can gleen from them is a positive. There is always the fast forward button to get through the slow spots.

Yeah, I agree. He discusses the hows and whys very well at the same time the job speeds by the boring parts.

The guy seems the know his stuff. I'm gonna binge watch a few of his vids.

Thanks for the tip.

Well, I am glad I posted it.
I really like the guy, and his content is superb.

Not everybody was meant to be in front of a camera (I am one of those bodies. I hate cameras pointed at me. And, hate speaking at them even worse).
So, for all we know, this guy may be going through great anxiety to put out these videos (I know I would be).

Regardless, it is the best content I have found. Don't get me wrong, I still like Keith, Adam, and Tom. But, this guy is more to my liking.

great find - and i find his commentary pretty interesting "i think next time i will try ..."

anybody know what camera he took the closeup of that insert with?
(i was watching the video about the ram shaft - seems like he has some kind of camera on a stick to aid inspections)

Thanks for sharing, I too am now hooked. He's a very skilled machinist and awesome to see him doing work on higher end cnc's. Anyone else out there doing similar?

This guy doesn't say "Awesome!!!!!" or "Amazing!!!!!" enough times in a video to be a drinking game is why he doesn't have 100K+ subscribers. :)

You forgot "exteme!!!!!"

This is how it should be. A master craftsman doesn't charge into a job with no idea if he will succeed. He knows exactly what to expect.

Not to throw stones, but contrast that to someone like John Saunders/NYCCNC. He claims to have been programming and running a CNC mill for 10 years, but he still can't grasp basic feeds and speeds for twist drills.

Side question:

Anyone got a guesstimate on what some of the jobs this guy is doing quote out at? I'm just very curious as to what exactly something like a giant piece of Inconel mill/turned to 0.001" tolerances, or an inconel fan blade with hollow sections, in quantities below 10 would cost. The quotes for this kind of work are utterly insane, I'm guessing.

I would bet that the company that houses that machine doesn't even throw the switch for less than a minimum $10K purchase order.

Back