First time machining internal threads on YAM lathe. What settings do I use? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Only a wild guess here, but I wonder if he's verified that the "b" gear is correctly meshed with the 120 T or the 127 T gear as required. It would be an easy thing to miss and might account for the 1.5/1.6 discrepancy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TGTool View Post
    Only a wild guess here, but I wonder if he's verified that the "b" gear is correctly meshed with the 120 T or the 127 T gear as required. It would be an easy thing to miss and might account for the 1.5/1.6 discrepancy.
    Great thought - thanks!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TGTool View Post
    How do I do that?
    I haven't done a tune up on my machine in a long time. I am wondering if there is a taper being machined rather than a straight run. I started to think this because i don't think that 1.5 vs. 1.6mm difference in pitch would cause the fitment issue i am seeing with the two mating parts.

Here is a picture just for fun:
    img_0027.jpg

Here is what the threads look like on the actual part i ranimg_0026.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

How do I do that?
    Check and see if "b" is being driven by 127. For metric threads "b" has to be driven by 120

Changing from one to the other will require the spacer next to "b" will have to change sides AND the 120/127 gear set will have to move closer to "b" for proper meshing of 120 and "b" AND the mounting (sometimes referred to as quadrant) for 120/127 will have to be swung up a little so the idler above 127 meshes properly with "a" - or possibly its just the 127 meshing properly with the idler
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails yam-change-gears.jpg  
    Last edited by johnoder; 08-27-2019 at 12:25 PM.