What's new
What's new

Looking for help identifying an Ifanger tool holder

thomir

Plastic
Hi,

I recently acquired an odd lot of tool steel, and buried in the bottom of the box was an IFanger tool holder. I'd never seen these before, and a thorough search through the ifanger catalogs failed to tell me much about it.

It has '2FV' stamped on it. The closest I've been able to find from their catalogs is some of their parting tools, which are labelled '2FN' (from: https://www.ifanger.com/files/content/dokumente/pdf_en/products/system_ifanger/parting_tools.pdf), but mine's definitely a 'V', not an 'N'. It's also got a goose-neck thing going on - see the pic below:

IMG_20180809_121414007.jpg

I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

First, what is this tool holder built for?

Second, I'll be travelling through the USA for work next week - where's a good place to order the tool bits for these? (preferably somewhere online with cheap/free shipping).

Cheers!

It's a spring tool, mainly for threading from the days when lathes weren't so rigid, the spring action stopping / reducing the chances of a dig in, any excess material being taken off with another gut at the same setting - hence the term spring pass.

Hi,

I recently acquired an odd lot of tool steel, and buried in the bottom of the box was an IFanger tool holder. I'd never seen these before, and a thorough search through the ifanger catalogs failed to tell me much about it.

It has '2FV' stamped on it. The closest I've been able to find from their catalogs is some of their parting tools, which are labelled '2FN' (from: https://www.ifanger.com/files/content/dokumente/pdf_en/products/system_ifanger/parting_tools.pdf), but mine's definitely a 'V', not an 'N'. It's also got a goose-neck thing going on - see the pic below:

View attachment 235297

I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

First, what is this tool holder built for?

Second, I'll be travelling through the USA for work next week - where's a good place to order the tool bits for these? (preferably somewhere online with cheap/free shipping).

Cheers!

F series is a RH parting tool holder. They also made threading tools of the gooseneck style and these have a two piece body to allow thread angle adjustment.
Cutters are or were available from Trade Tools in Auckland, also BRW in Switzerland will send. Unless you run it into something, a cutter will last years as they are a constant profile design.

Back