What's new
What's new

Fixed steady identification - Possible modification

Beechwood

Plastic
I've just joined and this is my first post, so apologies in advance if its in the wrong place or format.

I picked up this fixed steady pretty cheap in an on line auction advertised as possibly from an XYZ 420 or Colchester.

Does anybody recognise it?

I have checked with XYZ and its not one of theirs, and its too big for my Colchester Student MkII. It might be from a Colchester Mastiff or Clausing.
The dimensions are:
Height - 465mm
Centre Height - 225mm
Bore max - 165mm
Base - 270mm

My plan is to adapt it to fit my Colchester which has a 6.5" (165mm)centre height by removing the baseplate and lowering it by about 60mm.
but before I ruin a perfectly good bit of kit that might be more valuable to sombody else, I thought I'd check.

IMG_3167.jpg
IMG_3166.jpg

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Hi Beech,
Welcome to PM. You're not going to ruin it. Have at it. Some think you've got to get it exactly centered with the spindle. Not really. That's what the adjustable fingers are for. The most crucial part is getting the SR square to the ways and vertical. Good luck!

If you lower the steady as you propose the adjusting screws may interfere with the lathe carriage. Check that out before cutting any metal.

From the color it could be a Harrison maybe a M300. They are related to Colchester and some M300's were rebadged with different makers names.
Bill D.

Back