What's new
What's new

Fixing a compressor tank leak.

bhigdog

Stainless
My 80 gallon Champion compressor has developed, I'm guessing, a rust through leak in the bottom of the end cap. Very small and I can't push an awl into the spot. Compressor is in excellent condition and I just put a new 5 HP motor on it.
Whats the advisability of sealing the leak with a small patch soft soldered on?
Anyone have any experience with doing this?............Bob

I think the majority of the responses are going to be just replace it. Not worth dealing with a potentially fatal tank worth a few hundred bucks.

The tank is obviously not in excellent condition or it wouldn't have a hole in it..right. If you have ever seen a video of a compressed air tank exploding, you wouldn't hesitate to replace yours. That's my two cents worth.

Stuart

Ever see a air tank come unzipped? Thais when the rust has eat the steel away and the bottom at the rust line rips open. Kills anything within 100 ft, scrap it...Phil

If you're so inclined, you could always cut the head off and weld on a new one.

It could even be a flat head, if you're willing/able to do the calcs. It'll be mighty thick though.

Sent via CNC 88HS

Take this as a warning of imminent failure-indeed it might have failed without warning as there is likely to be a thin line all along the bottom. Replace tank!

Another for ;- That tank is scrap, ....and before it goes to the scrap yard, make sure it can never be used as any sort of pressure vessel.

Take this as a warning of imminent failure-indeed it might have failed without warning as there is likely to be a thin line all along the bottom. Replace tank!

This is the condition I never thought of and it makes sense. New 80 gallon tanks are pricey but I guess I'll be giving McMaster a call unless anyone knows of a better place to buy. Before I scrap it I'll cut a hole in the side with my plasma torch.....Bob

Commercial shop that will be inspected or home shop with insurance that will be void if the patch is discovered after it blows. If it just blows a small leak the compressor will run all night and day while you are on vacation and burn up the pump and new motor.
Now is a good time to think about relocating the tank and or pump. Maybe one in the rafter sand one outside for noise reduction. Also time to install an automatic drain valve on the tank.
Bil lD

The old tank is useful for many things. BBQ halves or one with a lid. Cut one end off and use for a scrap bin, 80 gallon might be able to cut around the middle and have 2 bins. Best might be make a smoker out of it. My brother does something called ugly drum smoker, uses a 55 gallon barrel, your tank would be way better than an old oil drum... here is one on Youtube for anyone interested. Awesome way to slowcook:
UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker) Build Review - YouTube
Or a wood stove for shop. The list is almost endless, point is dont scrap the old one ;)

Does Amazon or walmart have free shipping on tanks?
Bill D

NO.

Have you ever seen where two of the same item, from the same same seller are listed at two different prices? The cheap ones always do not include the shipping and the expensive ones are always "free shipping" - it is NOT free, you just are not specifically charged for it, but you are paying for it.

Make a lawn roller out of the old one and get a new one. You could conceivably cut the entire end cap off, inspect the rest of the tank to make sure it's in good shape and weld a new end cap on, but that's a lot of damn work.

Back