What's new
What's new

Fixture/jigging locating pins

mookins

Plastic
Hi,

I was hoping someone could explain when and why I would use either of these styles of locating pins. The descriptions given are pretty much the same.
Some differences are obvious. The first link doesn't have a flange. What this means for anything I am unsure but it does mean one less machining operation. They are however only available in press fit type.
The other two links are the same bar their mounting type, one being press fit and the other lock-screw type. The press fit type will be of better accuracy, but why would you ever bother to use the lock screw type then?

Round and diamond pins
Round and diamond locating pins – Press fit type
Round and diamond locating pins – Lock-screw type

Any help would be appreciated.

-Mike

Those pins are for locating a part for a second operation after holes have been drilled. One round and one diamond pin is the standard for part locating. The round pin locates the part, the diamond pin is just to stop the rotation. This combination makes parts easier to load.

The press fit type are easier if you can get to the back side to remove the pin. If the pin cannot be accesses from the back, the lock screw type are much easier to maintain.

Back