What's new
What's new

Fixturing Chank Hooks For Shank Turning and Threading

Archer120x

Cast Iron
Fixturing Chain Hooks For Shank Turning and Threading

Does anybody have a decent way to hold these? The last time I did one, I had a sketchy setup in a four jaw. The only regular surface on the whole thing is the part I need to machine.
Thanks,
Tony
20190908_200735.jpg

Once you get it center drilled so you can hold it with tailstock;

they are not so bad.

The bigger the four jaw, the better.

We have done 20 ton hooks with 2-1/2" shank in the 21" four jaw

on the 30" Le Blond.

What is the shank size? I have done similar holding the shank in a drill chuck in the tailstock and bringing the jaws of the 4 jaw in one at a time until they just touch the part. The drill chuck may not work, it just makes it easier to center. Otherwise put in a center on a mill. Block behind the part so it can't slide. Then you can pinch the part between the chuck and tailstock so it won't fall out if you loosen the jaws to much when adjusting.

Ive never used a 2-jaw but i think think this is the type of lathe work they are good for. If this is for a larger quantity it might be worth looking into.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

What is the shank size? I have done similar holding the shank in a drill chuck in the tailstock and bringing the jaws of the 4 jaw in one at a time until they just touch the part. The drill chuck may not work, it just makes it easier to center. Otherwise put in a center on a mill. Block behind the part so it can't slide. Then you can pinch the part between the chuck and tailstock so it won't fall out if you loosen the jaws to much when adjusting.

The shank is about 1.150"

Maybe make a fixture with a round OD to fit in a 3 jaw chuck that is profiled on the inside to the largest outside cross section of the hook part using the shank centerline (would be somewhat of an oval shape), cut a slit in the fixture so it clamps down on the part when you tighten the 3 jaw, depends on how many you have to do and if it's worth taking the time to make

Back