What's new
What's new

flat gage out of aluminum

DanielG

Stainless
I may need to make a gage out of .125" aluminum. It's a U-shaped gage for check part protrusion. Not particularly tight on the profile, .010", but there are a few annoying things about it. The one of interest today is that it's listed as .125" stock, but has a flat .010" callout on one face. I'm pretty sure stock won't be flat to .010". If I can't convince the customer to change their mind, it seems like my options are to bend/peen it flat, or make it from larger stock and have it ground flat.

Any suggestions?

IME there are so many locked up stresses in Alu sheet I'd lay a pound to a pinch that when you cut whatever shape is specified, that 1/8 sheet will move all over the place including ''sheet flatness''

How big is the part?

.010" flat is not very hard to achieve. Make it from larger stock and just mill it flat. If you want to get the stress out, run it on a vibrating table or bake it before machining.

Given the customer doesn't understand why the part dimensions and material don't jive, they either don't need it to be aluminum, or it doesn't really need to be that exact. Do you know how it will be used? We've had highly "educated" clients clients argue with us on things like this and I think half the time they just don't want to outsource the decision making power and get burned, or the other half of the time they genuinely think they know more than you.

Dollar signs will most often persuade them. Give them two quotes, one for how they want it done for $$$$$, and another how it really SHOULD be done for $$$, and they might come around.

Back