What's new
What's new

Flexibility in Shipping is Important - Rant

Kevin T

Stainless
Long story short I bought a used Aloris tool holder (CXA-20) from the bay place and the part that holds the insert is messed up. It's a universal holder so there are parts I can replace. Aloris is having a 15% off for October so there I go...to the source. I spend a lot of time finding it and loading the cart and entering all the info into the order and then I need to select a shipping option..

These are my shipping choices for a tiny $66 part.

Aloris quote.jpg

No freaken way I say so I go to AMZN just to see if they have it. They do, it's only 60 bucks and free shipping...

Amazon.jpg

I know that Bezos fella gets a lot of flack but he is doing alright for Joe 6 Pack.

Been dealing with that crap all my life. Most companies don't give a rip about loosing our business.

Anyone can sell stuff and all those sales people can compete with each other trying to make enough sales to survive. A manufacturer should not compete with their distribution network.

You're in Hawaii so that's probably why, no different than shipping to New Mexico. Foreign country.

There is a lot of truth in that, though. One of the reason Amazon (and others) have thrived is they recognize the benefit in putting an item in the customer's hands as 'invisibly' as possible. No one likes to tangle with getting stuff, they just want the stuff.

Many times, I've stopped a purchase when I saw the shipping. High shipping tells me the seller is not trying hard enough to 'earn' my business.

All that said....it's a double edged sword as the cheap shipping Amazon offers has to be paid by someone. That's...you and me....when we go to ship anything ourselves. UPS, FedEX, etc. have all greatly increased their prices to the little guy to make up for their cheap prices to the big guy.

You're in Hawaii so that's probably why, no different than shipping to New Mexico. Foreign country.

There is a lot of truth in that, though. One of the reason Amazon (and others) have thrived is they recognize the benefit in putting an item in the customer's hands as 'invisibly' as possible. No one likes to tangle with getting stuff, they just want the stuff.

Many times, I've stopped a purchase when I saw the shipping. High shipping tells me the seller is not trying hard enough to 'earn' my business.

All that said....it's a double edged sword as the cheap shipping Amazon offers has to be paid by someone. That's...you and me....when we go to ship anything ourselves. UPS, FedEX, etc. have all greatly increased their prices to the little guy to make up for their cheap prices to the big guy.

Yes Hawaii is the issue however flat rate USPS packaging (boxes/mailers/etc) are only about ~20% higher than those on the mainland. A flat rate box might be shipped for 7.50 where you are but to reach me it's 9.45!

Yes Hawaii is the issue however flat rate USPS packaging (boxes/mailers/etc) are only about ~20% higher than those on the mainland. A flat rate box might be shipped for 7.50 where you are but to reach me it's 9.45!

I disagree with that statement.

Having shipped several objects from Arizona to Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico and Guam the USPS flat rate price is the same for those destinations...Recently the price gone up to $9.20 for a small flat rate box...
The time to get there is another thing... I have had stuff shipped from Arizona go thru Alabama to get to Alaska.

USPS flat rate shipping is a bargain... The region A boxes can be an even better deal.

A 10" 4 jaw L00 chuck shipped to Hawaii cost about the same as a regular sized birthday card mailed to Perth Australia. $18 and change for the card and $22 and change for the chuck...
We send 4 cards there a year...

Back