What's new
What's new

floating reamer holders

dian

Titanium
i have seen them used but have no experience myself, didnt ever need one. what should they do, let the tool move radially, at an angle or both?

i figure if the reamer is alowed to change its position from perpendicular and is offset you get a conical hole. on the other hand i see a lot of contraptions bolted to the tail, mainly in gunsmithing, that do exactly that, to compensates for bad alignment. doest make sence. if you do work like that you see to it that the tail is aligned in the first place. there are units that seem to alow radial displacement only. that makes more sence, at least to me, and has its use where you move the work from one machine to the other.

I have a Boyar Schultz (USA) floating reamer holder and made many parts with it on a Hardinge turret lathe. It keeps the reamer parallel with the shank and allows the centerline of the reamer to follow the pilot hole, preventing any taper in the finished hole. It is a production tool, not handy to set up for one-off jobs with random size reamers.

Larry

so they only moved radially, keeping the tool parallel to the shank, right?

Wow, they're not cheap are they ? I remember seeing a guy throw a wooden box containing about six or eight of those reamers into the skip ( dumpster ) at one place I was removing a machine from. They place was closing down and the site was earmarked for a new " Tesco " supermarket.

Regards Tyrone.

There are different types.
Some only move radially and some both like the Röhm Pendelhalter:View attachment 219860

well, pendelhalter, so tumbling holder it is. im still not getting what for. once the tool has moved to the correct position "radially" (hopefully during the firs revolution or so), what good does it do if its allowed to tumble?

Wow, they're not cheap are they ? I remember seeing a guy throw a wooden box containing about six or eight of those reamers into the skip ( dumpster ) at one place I was removing a machine from. They place was closing down and the site was earmarked for a new " Tesco " supermarket.

Regards Tyrone.

Don't remind me Tyrone, I once had 7 or 9 (not sure) DB reamers all of ''really'' useful sizes for the sort work I was doing at the time, that had come may way in more or less the same circumstances, and they were magic, .............. only for them to be stolen in a break in, which just happened to be the night after we'd buried my Grandfather.

I've had better days :(

Don't remind me Tyrone, I once had 7 or 9 (not sure) DB reamers all of ''really'' useful sizes for the sort work I was doing at the time, that had come may way in more or less the same circumstances, and they were magic, .............. only for them to be stolen in a break in, which just happened to be the night after we'd buried my Grandfather.

I've had better days :(

This was before I'd seen them in action Sami. Knowing what I know now I would have been straight into the skip dragging that box out !

Regards Tyrone.

once the tool has moved to the correct position "radially" (hopefully during the firs revolution or so), what good does it do if its allowed to tumble?
Historically, the early floating holders had angular as well as radial accomodation as a side effect of their simple construction. It remains somewhat more difficult to give a tool radial accomodation while remaining rigidly axis-aligned. So "what good does it do" is answered with "it's less expensive to buy" (hopefully) rather than "it works better".

Back