What's new
What's new

Flywheel/cylinder head surfacing info and machines

Winchesterguy

Plastic
I’ve been getting several calls (I guess a home shop local guy that did engine work has called it quits) about flywheel surfacing and some cylinder head work as well, curious if anyone here does engine machine work and could give me some info on RPM requirements for large fly cutters and grinding stones for flywheel resurfacing. I have a millport mill that I can use but I’ve read they’re not really rated for interrupted cuts on cast with large fly cutters, any advice on that would be greatly appreciated as well. I’ve actually gotten so many requests lately for this type of work I’m kicking around buying a larger K&T or Cincinnati mill (I’ve always wanted one anyways) and leaving my rotary table on the far end of the table and using the other end for cylinder head work. Any advice,tips or comments, good,bad or indifferent are welcome.

An old mill is not suitable for modern MLS gaskets ....as to flywheels,just about anything will do,a lot of the mobile guys use a small home made facing lathe and finish with a sanding disc in an angle grinder to get the swirly pattern.

Can I ask why the old mills won’t do? Not high enough rpm for good surface finish or not rigid enough? Just curious, thanks for the info

Can I ask why the old mills won’t do? Not high enough rpm for good surface finish or not rigid enough? Just curious, thanks for the info

If one is "cranking handles", or flipping levers to change feed direction while covering the area of a fly wheel, every load and motion reversal is going to change the cut depth. Slop just works that way. It is a matter of degree and if it really matters. But some people prefer not to question any possibility of irregularity.

I tend toward "suck it and see". but hey! Life is short...

Anyone can do flywheels ........heads are what require precision and finish ......reason being MLS gaskets......if finish and flatness are not up to spec,you will get coolant leaks into the cylinders.........if you are doing antique engines with copper asbestos or solid copper headgaskets,then no problem.......of the simple machines ,a surface grinder is probably the cheapest option,provided it can do 001 over 24".....finish is easily varied by using different abrasive.

I disagree that anyone can do flywheels. A flat Chevy flywheel maybe but times have changed. A lot of them today are stepped or cupped and they need to be referenced on the crank mounting surface. I've done thousands on the same Van Norman FG5000 dedicated machine with a CBN wheel. Excellent money maker, especially if you're the only game in town.
Cylinder head surfacing today (if MLS) requires a finish smoother than a fly cutter on a vert mill can give IMO. The rigidity of the setup is a problem for starters and so many heads are oddly shaped, steep intakes manifold angles or large areas at the front for timing gears. Again, a dedicated surfacer is the only way to go if you want to be profitable.

My flywheel trade disappeared to the franchise vans using home made "lathes" ,swirly pattern supplied by a sanding disc.....very simple reason......these van guys do it onsite ,five minutes after the flywheel is taken out.....the franchise sellers then moved into head "surfacing "using ...believe it or not ...big orbital sanders...hand held.......If you want to make money ,forget machining ,and dream up some hokey franchise that you can sell for $20k with a couple of toy machines...which are "unique to us,and protected by patents which we own"..............(by the way,Im talking about the "oncar" disc and drum machiners,who also get flywheels in the franchise.)

Find out what machine(s) your competition is using. Decide type and brand that will fit your need. Contact the machine manufacturer and find out how much it will cost for the machine. If the machine cost is a no-go then find out who's nearby who might be looking for work.

Might be a case where a machine sales rep has a client struggling or looking to upgrade and needs to sell a machine.

My flywheel trade disappeared to the franchise vans using home made "lathes" ,swirly pattern supplied by a sanding disc.....very simple reason......these van guys do it onsite ,five minutes after the flywheel is taken out.....the franchise sellers then moved into head "surfacing "using ...believe it or not ...big orbital sanders...hand held.......If you want to make money ,forget machining ,and dream up some hokey franchise that you can sell for $20k with a couple of toy machines...which are "unique to us,and protected by patents which we own"..............(by the way,Im talking about the "oncar" disc and drum machiners,who also get flywheels in the franchise.)

I don't think we have these in the USA, do you have a video link? Maybe I can get in on the ground floor for a USA franchise:D

Three out of six here. And two out of three at my son's place. Shifty is nifty.

They way I heard it is that standard shift is the new anti theft device! ;-)

(At the moment, all four of my vehicles are protected this way. What a gal I have as wife!)

Back