What's new
What's new

Follower chaser single point threading on manual turret lathe

Growley

Plastic
How do you cut 4 tpi on manual turret lathe ( Hitachi sekei 5 A ll ) when your follower and chaser are not available. There is a #4 set for twice the tpi. Oh for a banjo and change gears in the follower drive gearbox drive from the spindle.

Hardinge built bench and cabinet-mounted lathes with gear-driven chasing attachments from about 1910 to 1955.They had the ability to cut the same pitch as the lead screw (also called a hob) or progressively finer pitches multiplying the master by 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6. But 9 TPI was the most coarse leadscrew they listed because they were not massive machines. The followers were easily made on the lathe because the lead screws had a section of cutting teeth at one end. The pictures show the 1946 (early) DV59 lathe chasing attachment. They are very rare (few sold), so Hardinge discontinued them in the 1950's.

If your machine can take the load of cutting 4 TPI, I guess you have to make your own chasing parts.

Larry

DV59 leadscrews 2.JPG DV59 leadscrews 3.JPG DV59 #1143 8.jpg DV59 leadscrews 1.JPG DV59 #1143 5.jpg

Hitachi sekei had followers and chasers to single point thread 4 TPI. It was their #2 set. I do not have that set available. I wish that machine scrapers would learn the difference between number 1 scrap and incredibly desirable needed accessories. If I could double the speed of the feed rod I could use the 4 set. The Warner Swasey had change gears in the feed rod drive from the spindle to drive the follower which would be sweet. I pulled the cover on the Hitachi drive and it has a gear set but it is not a change gear set. Could be with lots of time.

The feed rod generally sticks out the far end of the bed.....rig up a drive from it to a small leadscrew on your threading apparatus,maybe repurpose a small topslide for a limited thread length......Near every lathe Ive had I rigged up a feedscrew drive via a uni jointed shaft to power a topslide ,extra slide ,or a threader....and while you are at it ,make a small thread milling attachment ,very useful for coarse threads.

Back